hermits or snails

gmoney27

Thinking of going staight with one or the other just wondeirng what everyone suggests.
Also what kind and how many for a 55G showtank.

tinydove

From all I have read on clean up crews Turbo snails and Astrea snails will clean and keep your LR and glass cleaned. Nassarius snails will do the same for your sand.
I also have read that blue leg hermit crabs are good (but the sometimes tend to eat your snails) I have also read that Scarlett crabs are better then Blue Legs.

27mtaylor

I use blue leg hermits and turbos. They do a pretty good job. Just keep some extra hermit shells in the tank so that they don't try to kill your snails to get to their shells.

wax32

They do two different jobs IMO. Hermits can't clean the glass at all but they go a great job on detritus.

alyssia

Originally Posted by 27mtaylor
I use blue leg hermits and turbos. They do a pretty good job. Just keep some extra hermit shells in the tank so that they don't try to kill your snails to get to their shells.

My hermits still kill my snails even thought they have plenty of extra shells.

wax32

Originally Posted by alyssia
My hermits still kill my snails even thought they have plenty of extra shells.
Because they are starving.

stanlalee

why not do both? I only have Astrea as far as snails go (8 in a 30 gallon). had 10 but two fell and met their death before I found and flipped them. They do a GREAT job at keeping algae from growing on the live rock but they dont do much of anything for the glass (yes they eat off the glass but are just too slow. I'm thinking about a Turbo (mexican) but am reluctant because of their size and natural envirnment. My LFS has some relatively large snails that are a orange/dark color. Not anything common I've seen. Going to ask them about those. Hermits are great too for food or whatever reaches the bottom. I have red and blue tip. they dont kill each other and none have killed any snails. I have probably around 15 small ones in a 30 gallon.

fishntx

i would mix them as they do different jobs. turbo snails do a good job on algea but if they get fliped over you most of the time have to flip them back

dogstar

IMO, snails only. I hate crabs. Any kind. Worms, brittles, pods ect, will do the same job as crabs and they dont eat snails.