Hermits?

bamacj5

i purchased 10 hermits about two weeks ago, they have been doing fine they eat all the algea and any food that hits the sand , about two days ago one was pulled out of his shell or climbed out for what ever reason and died, i removed him but left his shell, there are other shells in the tank for them to move into,this morning during water change and cleaning i removed two other hermit bodies,now heres the weired part i still have 9 active hermit crabs and can only find the one shell from the dead hermit i removed 2 days ago, anybody got any thoughts?

Originally Posted by BAMACJ5
http:///forum/post/3001688
i purchased 10 hermits about two weeks ago, they have been doing fine they eat all the algea and any food that hits the sand , about two days ago one was pulled out of his shell or climbed out for what ever reason and died, i removed him but left his shell, there are other shells in the tank for them to move into,this morning during water change and cleaning i removed two other hermit bodies,now heres the weired part i still have 9 active hermit crabs and can only find the one shell from the dead hermit i removed 2 days ago, anybody got any thoughts?
i have bought hermits b4 and two were in one shell

natclanwy

Hermits molt and the skeleton they leave behind looks identicle to a live hermit out of its shell. I am 99.9% positive what you are pulling out is the shed skeletons not dead hermits.

bamacj5

good possibility, come to think of it they didnt have the rear body section that the dead one did, i guess molting is the only possibility, two crabs in a shell, im sure it has happened but i inspected each crab before i bought, thats the only rule ive stuck to is checking every thing befor i buy it, i appreciat both responses, another question what is the life span of a hermit in the tank

natclanwy

I have read that they can live 10+ years, I have a single Zebra hermit that has been in my tank for about 4 years.

bamacj5

thanx for the info i remember when i was a kid the land hermits we use to keep would last about 2 years, thankyou everyone for the help

socal57che

I have 3 scarlet hermits that are going on 5 years and a couple Hawaiian zebras that are about 3 years. This is just how long I have had them. I don't know how long they were alive before being harvested from the ocean.
Oh yeah, and like they said...you have molts.