Herp fans I need an ID

1journeyman

Ok, so cleaning out the pool skimmers a few minutes ago and came across a 4+ foot snake in my flower bed.
It's not one of our venomous varieties so I didn't kill it. Still, it got away from me (wrangling snakes ala Steve Irwin style not my hidden ability apparently) and went into deep shrubs near my pool.
I'll try to get a photo when it sticks its head out.
It's not a Cottonmouth, which was my first concern as we have a lot of those around. It's too slender and was far to calm. Never tried to strike, just get away.
It did, however, shake it's tail and vibrate it like a rattler would. Patterns looked like a King Snake (not scarlet, just a normal king) but I'd never heard of a snake trying to mimic a rattler.
Any suggestions what it is? I'm back off to try to catch it. While I appreciate snakes (non venomous ones anyways) I'd rather not swim with one tonight.

sharkboy13

there r MANY species of kings in ur neck of the woods, that sounds maybe like a bull or pine snake, can we get specific colors and patterning?

1journeyman

Light colored belly, yellowish bands, although they weren't solid.
Can't find him... I wondered why I hadn't heard any frogs in my pool for the last few days.
Looks like a Bull Snake to me, but I've never heard of them rattling their tails.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Looks like a Bull Snake to me, but I've never heard of them rattling their tails.
they do, they def do, im guessing it was that if ur missing frogs, since frogs r a large part of their diet

scotts

I have to admit that you gave a pretty good description of the snake considering you ran away screaming like a 10 year old girl...... oh wait, that is what I would do if I found a snake in my pool skimmer.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Scotts
I have to admit that you gave a pretty good description of the snake considering you ran away screaming like a 10 year old girl...... oh wait, that is what I would do if I found a snake in my pool skimmer.
Hehe..
It's funny. Yesterday I was talking to my parents that own a small ranch in Central Texas. They told me they had killed several snakes and I lectured them on at least IDing the harmful ones before they killed them. So today I find this monster... dang it. Guess I was being tested to see if I would walk the walk.
Thanks for info Snakeboy. I didn't know they vibrated their tails. On the plus side, no more frog eggs in the pool.

michaeltx

there are several species that shake their tale its funny to watch a spckled king do it on pavement like its actually accomplishing anything LOL
Mike

aw2x3

I was unaware that there were other snakes, besides Rattlers, that shook their tales...besides Copperheads.
Not trying to hijack, but figured it was a good post to throw some pics out. My girlfriend and I went hiking last weekend and found two juvies...less than 15", each. I grew up wrangling these snakes, so I wasn't the least bit worried or doing a little "stick work"...my hand was just barely out of the picture.

sharkboy13

nice find AW!
ill admit i would have a hard time just leaving that snake alone w/o hookin it atleast once and gettin a few shots

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Beth
Take a look at this info:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snapshots...bullsnake.html
Shaking tail is a warning, but also a natural defense mechanism. If the tail is moving, a predator is more likely to go for the tail, then the head. Could mean life or death to a snake.
Thanks all.
Beth, that photo looks very similar to him. Great... a 5 foot snake. That's what my nerves need.
AW, we've got a lot of Copperheads in this area. Beautiful snakes.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
well just be thankful its a 5ft non venomous snake as opposed to a feisty 2ft venomous one
LOL, that might have been easier on me. a 2 foot venomous snake in my pool=me minus a bullet and one dead snake.