hey I just bought this what is it and how do I care for it

mscarpena

I hate seeing these because I feel people should do their homework before buying things to make sure they can take it or survive in home aquariums. Some things are just not siuted for home aquariums and should not even be sold in the hobby. SO DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING. Or you maybe wasting your $$ and supporting collection of an animal that should not be collected.

I agree completely, but there are always many, many different sides to the research done.
First we have multiple tank size research and it's not always accurate IMO because everyone has their own routine when it comes to chemicals, water changes, etc...
Then we have Oceanic research that doesn't even compare with the home system because of the "unknown" factors. (Ex: Coral can and does grow in some brackish waters in the world)
Next we have the LFS research. They will tell us just about anything just to sell their stock. I'm sure a lot of you as well as myself has made that blunder.
Then we have the skepulation research factor. This isn't anything more than someone saying something, having others join on the wagon and agree with that person.
Everything, no matter what is a trial & error issue. IME if you don't think you can handle that awesome looking thing in the LFS, then don't buy it. There will eventually be another one thus giving time to sit down and read many many things, come to a conclusion if you are in fact able to handle it or if you need to do some alterations in the current setup in order to get to that stage.
It took me a full year to understand some of the basic algea I had in my tank. What it was, where it came from and how it affected the system. Sure I wanted and desired so many things I seen, but I knew I was not ready. I'm ready for SOME things, but I also know I'm not able or ready to go further just yet.
That's just my 2 tenths of a dollar though.

mscarpena

I agree with what you said completely. There is alot of reliable research out there now. Also my LFS is great. He will tell you his honest opinion on the survival rates. I know LFS of that caliber are few and far between, but then again we have to look at who we give our money to. Also there are many good books and great web site. This web site will tell you alomst anything is easy to care even pipe fish. We all know they are not easy. I just see way too many post that start with please identify this coral. The coral in the picture is very common and if they did a little research on their own they would find the anwser in about 2 minutes.

mscarpena

Why dont you also add a nudibranch, blue linka star, carnation coral, deep sea gorgonia, and a basket star fish.