Hey Wax!

fishmamma

OK, so here is the latest.....
Have you had any experience with anemones? Love em or hate em?
In your opinion do anemone shrimp HAVE to be hosted by an anemone?
Would you keep a Jawfish and an anemone in the same tank? (I am thinking no)
Just wanted to pick your brain.

fishmamma

bit of info on the Periclimenes from a not always trusted retailer of the Dr. variety.
The Glass Anemone Shrimp, also known as the White-patched Anemone Shrimp, or Pacific Clown Anemone Shrimp, was first described in 1902. While it is sometimes difficult to see within its host anemone, it is the most common of all the imported anemone shrimps. Its transparent body has several white spots irregularly spread over its carapace and tail, which helps it to blend in with the tentacles of the anemone. Another distinctive marking of its species are the five black-edged orange spots on its caudal fin.
The Glass Anemone Shrimp will do best in a tank with anemones or sea cucumbers that can serve as a host. The shrimp will generally stay close to its host anemone or sea cucumber. If it does not see any larger fish nearby, it will sometimes venture out and forage for food. Otherwise, it shares its food with the anemone. It is protected from the stinging cells of the anemone by the mucus secreted by the anemone, which coats the shrimp's body. Every time the shrimp molts to grow, it has to hide from the anemone since it loses its mucus-covered shell. It then has to slowly approach the anemone and re-cover its body with the mucus. If there are several Glass Anemone Shrimp in the aquarium, the males will tend to have more white spots and be larger than the females.
In the aquarium, it will eat most meat or fish-based diets.

wax32

I wouldn't keep that shrimp without one. I have heard various accounts but it seems like they aren't real hardy in the first place.
Would I keep an anemone? No. I value my corals too much. I would be afraid that the anemone would move around and sting my corals, or even more likely, get sucked into the intake for my closed loop and die, poisoning my tank.
As far as compatability with a jawfish, I don't think that would be a problem, the jawfish should be smart enough to stay away.

celacanthr

I wouldn't get the shrimp, even with the anemone. They are really really poor shippers. But jawfish should be fine w/ the anemones since the same anemones that those shrimp associate with are found in somewhat close proximity to jawfish in nature.

milomlo

I don't know a whole lot about either, but I will say I have had a BTA for 3 weeks now and all of my fish (except the clowns OF COURSE), swim very near and even swim through him from time to time with no ill effects at all. My cardinals hang out in it all the time

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by wax32
I wouldn't keep that shrimp without one. I have heard various accounts but it seems like they aren't real hardy in the first place.
Would I keep an anemone? No. I value my corals too much. I would be afraid that the anemone would move around and sting my corals, or even more likely, get sucked into the intake for my closed loop and die, poisoning my tank.
As far as compatability with a jawfish, I don't think that would be a problem, the jawfish should be smart enough to stay away.
I'm in the same boat with wax here. I value my corals too much to keep one too!! :happyfish

fishmamma

Thanks everybody.
They actually have them at an LFS Celac, I almost took one home today but wasn't sure how it would do with out it's anemone.
Picked up 2 more sexies, a nice green hammer and a candy cane coral while I was out for water. :jumping:

fishmamma

Hey Celac: I may get a seahorse for the Jaw tank. What do you think? I have to of course do a TON of research first but I talked it over with my trusted LFS today. They said if they would have enough time to "hunt" then they would be happy and healthy. I figure since I feed twice a dayit should work out OK. Jaws and Mr. Yasha eat via the water column so do you think it might work??

celacanthr

I actually am planning a 20 gallon x-tra tall for a seahorse pair!
Anyways..
1)how tall is the tank?
2)how deep is the sand bed?
3)What skimmer do you have?
a)do you ever see micro bubbles from it?
4)what corals, do you have, and plan to have?
5)Any particular species you are looking at?
6)how much LR do you have?
7)How do you feel about artificial decor?
8)how do you feel about macroalgaes such as caulerpa?
9)how do you feel about feedin phytoplankton daily?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by fishmamma
Thanks everybody.
They actually have them at an LFS Celac, I almost took one home today but wasn't sure how it would do with out it's anemone.
Picked up 2 more sexies, a nice green hammer and a candy cane coral while I was out for water. :jumping:

Your digging deeper....

I've got a Hammer and a Candy Cane myself, they're nice! Here's a picture of'em...I paid only $5 for that Hammer, it has 5 heads on it...hehe...

fishmamma

Wow, that sure was a score Mike! Gorgeous hammer! I am after that color variety but need small pieces so grab em when I see them. Mine is brown and green.

fishmamma

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
I actually am planning a 20 gallon x-tra tall for a seahorse pair!
Anyways..
1)how tall is the tank?
2)how deep is the sand bed?
3)What skimmer do you have?
a)do you ever see micro bubbles from it?
4)what corals, do you have, and plan to have?
5)Any particular species you are looking at?
6)how much LR do you have?
7)How do you feel about artificial decor?
8)how do you feel about macroalgaes such as caulerpa?
9)how do you feel about feedin phytoplankton daily?
24 inches tall.
graduated sand bed- at the moment I would say 1-4 inches since Jaws messes with it.
BakPak type skimmer, works as well as my Aqua C Remora's....I think it is a no to the micro bubbles. Occasional spurts from the powerheads though.
Zoanthids and LPS.
about 35 pounds of rock.
would deal for the ponies.
if I could control the algae I would be Ok with it, been aftyer some prolifera.
why phyto?
LFS said no need for plants/algae, I could do something branching like a gorgonian (but they have caulerpa in their horse tank). Gorgonians can be tough though. She said they are tank raised and eat frozen mysis but would also eat the cyclopeeze and zooplankton I feed, BUT diet should mainly consist of mysis. Not sure what kind. blackish in color and about 3 inches in length. Never seen other species in there, just the dark ones.

celacanthr

here are the problems:
a)You have LPS such as hammers...which can be fairly dangerous for horses. If you can make an area of the tank, where the horse has no way of hitching, and put the "dangerous" corals there, then you may be ok.
b)You have sexi shrimp, which will probably become an expensive snack for the horses.
c) You are already fairly stocked, and seahorses have a large bio-load, so you may want to get a hang on filter for extra surface area, NOT more LR, because that is valuable swimming space.
d)Your water flow may be too strong....
Ok, the reason I asked about he artificial decor algaes, adn plankton, si because you have basically 3 ways to allow your horse to hitch
1)Artificial decor-nice, won't sting, easy to clean, btu guly IMHO
2) Macroalgaes- Nice hitches, can help relieve some of the need for a hang-on filter, btu as the horse grows it may be able to uproot the algae as it tries to hitch
3)Gorgonians- Will either need strong light (photosynthetic variety) or alot of feeding of plankton (non-photosynthetic variety), and you will need alot of them to allow your horse alot of places to hitch.
I am gonna venture a WILD (there is barely any reason behind this) guess, and say that they are H. erectus
...a good "beginner" horse
Personally I wouldn't risk it...
Sorry...

But then again that means........NEW TANK!!!! YAY!!!!

fishmamma

No, no, no. No new tank for me. New tank for you though!! :cheer:
I was wondering about the sexies actually but figured they were too large. Not willing to trade the LPS's for a pony. Thanks for your help!!

When are you getting the new tank? Did you find a local vendor to order the extra tall for you?

celacanthr

I am a still looking, but if it comes down to it, I will have to get it special ordered...
I am getting the horses from a friend of mine in maryland, who has been raising the fry...

onethunder

Originally Posted by fishmamma
OK, so here is the latest.....
Have you had any experience with anemones? Love em or hate em?
In your opinion do anemone shrimp HAVE to be hosted by an anemone?
Would you keep a Jawfish and an anemone in the same tank? (I am thinking no)
Just wanted to pick your brain.

Lost 2 of them. Nice big ones. I have an over rambuncious clown fish. He punctured them. :mad:

celacanthr

GUESS WHAT???
No...no jawfish yet :-((
BUT I did find a place willing to sell a blue dot jawfish for an EXTREMELY reasonable price...I may have to set up ANOTHER tank...it won't be for a while though...I want to make sure I am nto overwhelmed...

fishmamma

Celac- Hmmm....do you think it is still alive? Have you seen any evidence of it's burrowing?
That is great about the other Jaw, they are a cool looking fish. :jumping:
Onethunder- I have decided to skip the anemone and possibly go with just the shrimp. Must do more research on that one though. Sorry to hear you lost your anemone's, what bullying clowns!!