Hi Nitrate Problem

zero1870

Hey, i have a nitrate issue that needs correcting. I have a 75g w/d filter with activated carbon. i have live rock, 2 clowns, a gobe, a bicolor angel, cleaner shrimp, a chocolate chip starfish, and various crabs, 2 cleaner clams, and snails. I feed twice a day lights are on 12 hours a day, i do water changes using city water with chlorine chloromine remover weekly, i have a protein skimmer, i change 20 percent or 15 gallons a water at a time and the nitrate lvl is very high, 50+, suggestions?

quads4_lif

I would cut back on feeding and switch to RO/DI water for all water(water chang and top off). You might try adding a fuge with some macro alge also

slugg3r

First step, read this: https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=257319 and convince your self to get an RO unit. With RO you will end up getting your maintenence down to 10% water changes at a time and the savings in salt will pay for the RO unit quickly. Buy a unit right now!
What is the nitrate level of your tap water. If there is any in there that is your problem.
Cut your feeding level immediately until you get the nitrate under control. Once every two days to start.
How is your w/d filter? Probably not clean enough so it is traping stuff in there that decays. You need to clean it out.
What is your substrate?

quads4_lif

Also what type of w/d filter do you have. If it has bioballs get rid of them and if it has any sponges or filter pads you must clean them quite often or they will produce nitrates like a small factory

hatessushi

I would not remove the bio balls unless you have lots of live rock. You didn't say how much LR you had. With enough live rock you won't need the bio balls. You can replace the bio balls with live rock rubble but still need to clean/rinse it periodically.
Since you are using city water you might want to start using RO water instead . RO water will be better and you will get less diatoms with it. Before I would assume that your city water has nitrates in it I would test for it. Most of the time city water won't have enough nitrates to make a very big difference but it is always better to using RO/DI water
Also, check how you are feeding your fish. If you are feeding a lot for each of the 2 feedings per day then your nutrient levels may be high and your biological filter is putting out more nitrates then anything (live rock, or water changes) can handle. You might want to change your feeding schedule to once a day or once every other day. Fish don't metabolize like people do so they don't need to eat as often to stay healthy.
You said you are changing 20% of you water but didn't say how often. I would recommend once a week.

zero1870

ya i talked to my LFS today and he's getting me a deal on an RO, i have 40~ pounds of live rock, but i'm getting more in a few days as they become available, i do the water changes bi weekly, should i increase? anyways thanks for all the suggestions, they are really helpful, thanks everyone.
LMSCM

uberlink

Live rock will not reduce your nitrates, although it will help break down pollutants into nitrates. You need to export nitrates through water changes and/or by growing macroalge somewhere in your system.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by uberlink
Live rock will not reduce your nitrates, although it will help break down pollutants into nitrates. You need to export nitrates through water changes and/or by growing macroalge somewhere in your system.
From what I've read recently live rock does have some anearobic bacteria deep within it that will break down some nitrates. A deep sand bed will also break down nitrates.
Nothing beats water changes with quality water, however...

zero1870

ok, macroalgea... how do i get it (where, and online preferably because my LFS dosn't/can't get it) and how much is it? any suggestions as to what kind of algea to get?

uberlink

Originally Posted by zero1870
ok, macroalgea... how do i get it (where, and online preferably because my LFS dosn't/can't get it) and how much is it? any suggestions as to what kind of algea to get?
Check the classified ads on this website. People will often sell you a ziploc bag full of good chaetomorpha for ten bucks or so. You can grow it in a hang on filter with a small light or in a more involved refugium. Alternatively, you could look into some of the prettier macroalgaes and grow them in the display tank itself.

R

rjosel

i got the same problem with the nitrate.i think my problem is the suncoast protein skimmer is not making the bubbles right is like broling water...any help with the set up.THANKS!!!!!