Hi Nitrate Q

fishfry101

my nitrate just sky-rocketed for no apparent reason, its at 80! The tank is over a year old and none of the parameters have ever spiked like this. They have always been perfect. All the other numbers are great
PH - 8.2
Nitrite - 0
Amm - 0
phos -0
calcium - 440
Last time I tested was Tuesday night and all was fine. I did a partial water change (ro/di) last weekend, 1 new fish 2 weeks ago, feeding still twice per day ( flake in AM, meaty in PM).Everything is the same except for the fish 2 weeks ago and a new blue zoo piece last weekend.
I will do another water change in a little while but what would cause this?

gmann1139

It could have been a mis-test, I would retest again to confirm.
What was the nitrate the last time you tested?
What was the % on your water change?

fishfry101

Last time I tested the nitrate was at 0. I did double check the test, the first time it was 160, tested again and it was at the 80. That was an hour or so ago - Just for s&g i will twst again.
Also the sg is fine at 1.024

naclh2o nut

Keep us informed. i am new and this is very interesting. I can't imagine that you have made a mistake three times and each time it shows better results. If you would have a death and alot of amm release then with my understanding of the nitrate cycle , the amm would quickly go to nitrite then to nitrate. One thing I have not read is how long for the nitrate bacteria to break it down. Could you be testing as your tank does its thing?

florida joe

Excellent question Bang, as we know nitrification is extremely fast and denitrification is very slow. I also believe the timing of the test is the answer

fishfry101

I always try to test before feedings so no flake before the test and I still have not fed anything. I just tested agian and it dropped a little more to 20.
I did pull the filter media out last for a rinse, as I always do twice a week, and noticed it did have a build up of what appeared to look like brown mud, probablly the worst its ever been.
Just for more S&G I tested the new water I am mixing to see if maybe the test solution went bad but it came in at 0.

gmann1139

This is more for Joe and Bang...
Is it possible that some other compound in the tank is giving a false reading on the test, something that's breaking down fairly quickly?

florida joe

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/2955440
This is more for Joe and Bang...
Is it possible that some other compound in the tank is giving a false reading on the test, something that's breaking down fairly quickly?
It would have to be organic. If there was a fish that had died and no CUC the degrading of the fish could spike the nitrates. Or if there was a die off of cyano, or calurpa going sexual.

fishfry101

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2955576
It would have to be organic. If there was a fish that had died and no CUC the degrading of the fish could spike the nitrates. Or if there was a die off of cyano, or calurpa going sexual.
All fish are accounted for and I do have a clean up crew, no refuge only a trickle filter w/bio balls.......
One branch on my colt coral is drooping, not sure why, can this be the cause if it is dying? Or is that because of the nitrates....

fishfry101

I have the API test kit
I had an older kit ( 10yrs or so ) and tested with the same results - After a water change today ( 20 gal ) the nitrates are down to 5.
Regarding the colt coral - it's fine, one of the power heads moved changing the current and pushed the branches down to make it look like it was drooping. (duh)

fishfry101

Nitrates are still up a little - @ 5. Still not sure what can be causing this? I pulled the wet/dry filter today and washed it out, at this point I'm willing to try anything. Anyone have any ideas?

gmann1139

5 isn't bad. I think even reefs are okay, not great, at 5.
Joe's the expert on denitrification, but the two cheapest things you can do are water changes, and patience to let the denitrifying bacteria grow.