Hi-Q Complete Cycle Filter System

fishkid13

Has anyone used this filter or have any knowledge or experience with it?
I have just read up on it and am a little confused how it works. Any Comments would be greatly apperceated. Thanks.
kid...

mantisman51

http://hiq-usa.com/
People need something to link on. Most folks spend 10-15 seconds on a post and it grabs their attention and they want to respond, or they lose interest and move on.
I find this product intriguing. It turns the final product of the cycle, nitrate, into a gaseous form. I can see the benefits of that, but according to BZ's website, traditionalists complained that they were marketing it as "no more water changes" and that ruffled some folks feathers. I think something like this would be most beneficial in a small tank application, as water quality goes bad there much quicker. But the fact that the livestock need the elements found in salt mixes just as much as clean water makes me think that it may extend the t/f between water changes a little, but not enough to justify the HUGE pricetag.

S

shrimpy brains

I agree that the product sounds intrigueing. However, there are alot of products out there that boast of eliminating w/c and other maintainence neccesities. Most don't do what they advertise.
If you get it, please do a thread so we can be informed as to how it works for you.

fishkid13

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3082852
http://hiq-usa.com/
People need something to link on. Most folks spend 10-15 seconds on a post and it grabs their attention and they want to respond, or they lose interest and move on.
I find this product intriguing. It turns the final product of the cycle, nitrate, into a gaseous form. I can see the benefits of that, but according to BZ's website, traditionalists complained that they were marketing it as "no more water changes" and that ruffled some folks feathers. I think something like this would be most beneficial in a small tank application, as water quality goes bad there much quicker. But the fact that the livestock need the elements found in salt mixes just as much as clean water makes me think that it may extend the t/f between water changes a little, but not enough to justify the HUGE pricetag.
Thanks for the link.
Originally Posted by Shrimpy Brains

http:///forum/post/3082865
I agree that the product sounds intrigueing. However, there are alot of products out there that boast of eliminating w/c and other maintainence neccesities. Most don't do what they advertise.
If you get it, please do a thread so we can be informed as to how it works for you.

The poduct looks intrigueing but saying you don't have to do water changes makes me wonder how good this product really is. Shrimpy you are very correct about that statment.
I would like to try it to see how it works with but for the price I wonder if you could make somthing just as good if not better than this product with just extra fish things lying around the house. I am stil I little confused on how if filters. Is it like a overflow with water coming up from the bottom or somthing else?
Thanks.

S

shrimpy brains

Me too. Be nice to get more opinions on this product!!

mkroher

interesting.. this is what i gathered from the site:
1. can't use sand as a substrate.
2. doesn't eliminate water changes.. it says it just prolongs them.
3. really bulky and ugly. perhaps this belongs in a sump? (then sand can be used in the DT?)
I'd rather build an algae scrubber than use that thing. That Hi-Q thing is too expensive to "level" nitrates, not eliminate them.
just my 0.02 :)

mantisman51

I was thinking about an algae scrubber, but I have to top off 2-4 gallons per day on my 125g due to the low humidity here-ten months out of the year. I can only imagine that with one of those algae scrubbers, the evaporation would be off the chart, so to speak. But the HIQ seems like alot of money for not much gain.