Hi, sort of new!

Sawickib

Alright guys im back and cycling the tank for a few weeks now, ive hit a lot of brown algae or diatoms, which i believe is completely normal right? The ammonia has been around .75-1.0 ppm for awhile.

Alright so my planned stocking is not heavy, so here is what im thinking. Tank is a standard 55 gallons

Stocking #1
  • 2 black clownfish
  • 1 yellow watchmen goby
  • 1 pistol shrimp (are they any form of coral safe?)
  • Some type of dwarf angelfish?
  • Lawnmower blenny
  • 2 green clown gobies
  • Black cardinals (how many?)
  • 1 royal gramma
  • Should i get snails or hermit crabs? I kinda like hermits
  • I really think i want a starfish and definitely some shrimp.
  • 1 emerald crab
Is this to much? could i add a little more inverts or possibily one more fish? i want to be understocked btw not the other way around so please suggest anything to lower if you feel it need be. Would it be possible to get a marine betta or no? Ive kinda fallen in love with them but if they arent compatible with black clowns then i will say no to them.

kopczynski

That would be pushing what a 55 could hold, the dwarf angel would be your "show fish" then i would pick 4 others maybe 5 depending in their size. So based off your post i might do
1 Dwarf Angel
2 Clowns
1 royal gramma
Lawnmower blenny
Yellow watchman goby
The tank would then be fully stocked.
A pistol shrimp is reef safe and could pair with your watchman goby.
At first i wanted all snails but i have fallen in love with the hermits.

Sawickib

Thanks for the replies! I have a 10 gallon sump on the bottom, and about 50-65lbs of live rock.

I like the new list, should i get rid of the royal gramma? I know i really want a goby so i think i need to keep him and i want a pistol really bad lol

Can snails and hermits live together, ive heard its fine if the hermits have enough food, and of course i would wait a while to and my hermits to the COC.

Are there any fish similar to lawnmower blennys that accomplish the same goal but look a little better?

aduvall

I think your new list is great. I have a flame angel who is my centerpiece, then a clown, Bangaii Cardinal, Hoevan's Wrasse, and Starry Blenny, along with snails for a clean up crew. It looks good and doesn't overload the bio.

I have a 65, so It's not much bigger than yours.

I started off with too many and fights and aggression helped me see that less than I thought was generally safer.

flower

Thanks for the replies! I have a 10 gallon sump on the bottom, and about 50-65lbs of live rock.

I like the new list, should i get rid of the royal gramma? I know i really want a goby so i think i need to keep him and i want a pistol really bad lol

Can snails and hermits live together, ive heard its fine if the hermits have enough food, and of course i would wait a while to and my hermits to the COC.

Are there any fish similar to lawnmower blennys that accomplish the same goal but look a little better?

Hi,

I kept hermits and snails for many years...the can live together, but eventually the hermits will deplete your snail population, they kill them for their shells, food and sometime just for the heck of it. It isn't an overnight kill spree, so the snails will last a good year if you have enough of them.