Hi

mikenyc

Hi,
I'm new to this and in the gathering information phase. I live in NYC in a shared apt. and my tank would go in my bedroom which is also my living room, dinning room and massage studio so space is a big consideration. My main question right now is what is the smallest tank size I can get away with? I'm considering a 45 gallon bow front, but I'm starting to think that I'd need something larger. I'm really interested in having inverts and fish. I'm ordering 'The Conscientious Marine Aquarist' from Amazon, seemed to be strongly recommended in a few posts.
Any advice would be appreciated, further reading, tank size...
Thanks
Peace
Mike

tthemadd1

Good call on doing your research first. If you want to keep corals you are looking at a few thousand dollars in the long haul.. I have a 55 gal and I have at least $2000.00 invested. I would check out the book you posted. Also, look into getting a protein skimmer and some good lighting. Regular flourescent bulbs will not work well with corals. THey will work for some inverts and fish though. YOu want to look into getting the Metal Halide lights right off the bat, that will save you some money later on. Last thing you need to cycle your tank after adding the sand, Live Rock and water for a few weeks. Other than that just do research first and be patient. The most expensive part of this hobby are the fish/invers/coals that die due to lack of planning....
Good Luck
Themadd1 :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

kdfrosty

In my opinion I would not recommend anything smaller than a 55 gallon for someone entering the hobby. A lot of people say that it is harder to maintain pristine water quality in smaller tanks without tons more maintenance.
That being said, I would say go with the 45g bow front, or bigger. You'll be able to have a larger selection of corals that way. I would avoid going with any tank too tall because then you will have a problem with light penetration and surface area. Also, once you get into the hobby, you realize that the tank was one of the cheapest things you've purchased.
I'm not sure if that helps, but I hope it does....

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by KDFrosty
In my opinion I would not recommend anything smaller than a 55 gallon for someone entering the hobby. A lot of people say that it is harder to maintain pristine water quality in smaller tanks without tons more maintenance.
That being said, I would say go with the 45g bow front, or bigger. You'll be able to have a larger selection of corals that way. I would avoid going with any tank too tall because then you will have a problem with light penetration and surface area. Also, once you get into the hobby, you realize that the tank was one of the cheapest things you've purchased.
I'm not sure if that helps, but I hope it does....

I knew nothing back in November 2003 and started a successful 29 gallon. It can be done with research. Now I am in the process of starting a 75 though. Sure wish I would of gone bigger back then. Oh well. Its just an excuse now to get more stuff. My 29 will someday be a sump now.

birdy

I started with a 46bowfront and I think that is a good size to start with, I personally hate the dimensions of a 55gal tank and would prefer the bowfront or a 58gal or 65gal anyday.

joemc

I have a 29 gal also which I started in Jan 05 with almost no knowledge of saltwater/reef. Have done a TON of research since then and after 6 months I feel I'm off to a great start. My only regret is I wish I would have gone bigger so i could keep more animals...

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by joeMc
I have a 29 gal also which I started in Jan 05 with almost no knowledge of saltwater/reef. Have done a TON of research since then and after 6 months I feel I'm off to a great start. My only regret is I wish I would have gone bigger so i could keep more animals...
Same here. I am in the process of upgrading to 75 gallon

jayc

I think a 46 gal would be a good start. I started out with a 29 and its worked out good for me. I'm soon going to be getting lights for it so I can keep corals and stuff. I'm also starting up a 55 fowler soon too.