Hi

jermpool

Hi I am new to this site. I started my first saltwater tank about 5 years ago in a 10 gallon tank even though I was told I wouldn't be able to do it in such a small tank. I have been out of the fish hobby for about 9 months now. I am getting ready to get back into it and was wandering if the play sand is still the way to go. The last message board I was on they beleived it was the only way. My tank has been shut down so I am going to clean it all out and start over from the beginning. New lights, new filter, new heater, new sand, etc. I haven't decided on if I'm going reef or just have a few aggresive fish.

keleighr

I have no idea what the "play" sand is but I have used Live Sand in both my salts and it looks really good.

jafrench

From what I've read, as long as it doesn't have silicates in it, it's ok. Personally, I wouldn't skimp on something that will house beneficial microorganisms for your tank. Just my two cents. Good Luck and Welcome Back to the Hobby.

lovethesea

southdown play sand can be used. Home Depot usually carries it, but not sure about this time of year. You can seed with the "good" stuff from another established tank.

keleighr

are they talking about Sand for like a sand box???
Wow
Never heard of that one. Would have never thought to use it either!

misty7850

Hi, I'm not sure about play sand, I have heard that others use the southdaown and seed it with LS.. I used Live Sand
by the way, Welcome to the board, there are many helpful people here :jumping: