hiding shrimp/lobsters

spkdtch

Awhile back, few months at least, i put in a small blue spiny lobster, about 2 inches long. It kinda disappeared over night then in the morning i thought i saw a molt which is fairly common after being moved but it was behind all the LR where i couldnt get it or look to see if it was a dead lobster or just a molt. Have not seen it since. However, rocks get moved and fall over every now and then and there is nothing big enough to do that side of a emerald crab which still seems like it would be too weak
anyway to tell if its in there without tearing the tank down?
same goes for my pistol shrimp except i know its in there, can hear it snapping, but cant tell from where, if i got a pistol goby, would that help me locate the shrimp?

tank a holic

I have a purple lobster, he'll go missing for weeks at a time then he'll show himself (usually at feeding) he changes his hiding place all the time so some spots are easier to see a claw or antenna
as for the pistol
if it pairs up with a goby, you'll usually be able to see him or at least the burrow it has made
they seem to pair up easy enough and if you have the pistol already you might as well get the goby
the goby will also relieve some of the stress on the shrimp because the shrimp cant see very well and the goby lets him know when to run
also a watchman goby is a nice addition to any tank imo, i have a pink and blue, he's a blast to watch. I lost my pistol but am in the market for a new one, LFS's never seem to have one
what kind of pistol do you have??

jackri

There are times I think I've lost an invert when lo and behold weeks later I see it trying to dash from my sight.
I wouldn't give up on it until I saw it dead I guess.

spkdtch

its been well over two months since i saw it, i saw it the day it arrived and the next day when i let it go in the tank, havent ever saw it during a feeding either, and i always sit and watch for a good 10 mintues when i feed to see if any new hitchhikers popped up