High Nitrate

kjkerin

Problem: High Nitrate around 12 - Have always had readings of nitrate never been able to get rid of completely.
Amonia also has a reading but is low
PH is around 8.
CA is good
Salt is good
That is all I test for
Set Up: 90 Gal - 120 LR - Glass Bottom. Set up for 1 year. Wet Dry Filter, Protien Skimmer, 300 watt PC and a UV that I am not using.
5 fish and an assortment of corals, inverts and cleaning crew.

txduckhunter

How long has it been since you changed the filter media? I have seen nitrate will accumulate in filter media and until you get a new media and do quite a few water changes you will have this. One other option would be nitrate sponge in a bag placed in front of your return ... quite a few do this.

old salt

Nitrate of 12 doesn't sound all that high... maybe I'm missing something... anyway, about 3-4 inches of LS should help reduce your nitrates... You could also try a nitrate sponge in your filter....

nm reef

Its my understanding that filter media in wet/dry may contribute to nitrates....also I've found that a ls bed will help in controlling nitrates.........

burnnspy

Your tank filtration is not designed to reduce nitrates.
I recommend the addition of a plenum and 4" of Seaflor aragonite gravel. After a month has passed remove the WD filtration in small steps each week until it is gone.
Then you can join the no nitrate reef keepers.
BurnNSpy