High Nitrates at End of Cycle

kraftybob

So, the nitrogen cycle runs like this: ammonia --> nitrite --> nitrate.
The goal of the initial cycle when setting up a new tank (reef tank in my case) is to grow up enough nitrifying bacteria to deal with the ammonia that is introduced to the tank via fish waste or decaying food.
How do you deal with the inevitable very high nitrate levels that arise at the end of a new cycle? My tank is about three weeks through its inital cycle: ammonia levels are zero, nitrite levels are nearly zero, and my nitrate levels are sky high - over 100ppm. Throughout the cycle I have been running my skimmer, kept the lights off for the most part, and just topped off with RO/DI. I have not performed any water changes.
So now I want to add a reef package to my tank once I get my nitrates to zero. How do I do this?? With several water changes??

moneyman

Do one massive water change before adding any livestock.
Assuming you have 100ppm, one 90% water change will get your nitrate down to 10ppm. One 50% water change will get you to 50ppm - still too high. Two 50% water change will get you to 25ppm - still too high for tank w/o livestock.

coachklm

90% water change you can kiss your beneficial bacteria good bye......try to keep your water changes below 50% spaced out for time for the tank to adjust..

moneyman

Some bateria will die, most will survive. You can't get rid of bateria easily. There'll be die off anyways because the low amount of ammonia w/o the decaying stuff on your LR.