high water temp ?

pluchinsky

i haven't even bothered putting my heater in my tank b/c it stays above the ideal temp range anyway (around 82F). i've tried floating bags of ice in my sump but it doesn't bring it down. (i really don't want to buy a chiller!) i was wondering if fish can adjust to the higher temp & thrive or if i'll run into health probs long-term. does anyone else have this prob & are your fish doing fine?

bigarn

I take it you either keep your house very warm or you live in a warm climate...... 82 degrees is fine for a reef tank... can it maintain that temp year round without a heater? :D

dmc888

I guess it would depend on the type of fish.
Have you tried adding a fan blowing over your sump and see if it helps.

pluchinsky

thanks for the replies! i keep the house pretty warm (like 74). i think all the equipment must bring up the water temp a little. i'll try the fan over the sump. i don't see any reason for big fluctuations in my temp. i suppose my lighting might make a difference; but i don't think it would be enough of a temp change between when it's on & off to shock the fish or anything.

salty cheese

Other than a chiller evaporation is the best way to cool your tank. I tried a fan blowing across the sump and it didn’t really help so I added one to my canopy blowing across the DT and that worked wonders. That IMO is the best way to go about cooling the tank.
Joe
78-80 is not high IMO so don’t sweat it.:D Also JMO I would lose the glass top, prevents gas exchange and traps heat.