hippo and powder blue

cubuffs

I was looking to add another tang to my tank. I currently have a small blue tang, and I was wondering if a powder blue would be a good choice.
I am worried about fighting since they are somewhat similar shape. If not, can you recommend me a good tang for my tank?

thesamm

it could work if done right i see u have a 180 so i would say go for it...just get the power a lil bigger than the existing tang if he has been established to the tank for a while

joker_ca

YOUR TANK IS BIGG ENOUGH I WOULD GO WITH IT BUT MONITOR THEM CLOSELY, IF YOUR TANGS GET STRESSED OUT LOOK OUT FOR A ICH OUTBREAK BECAUSE TANGS GET IT EASLY

cubuffs

Thank you for the responses. I realize how delicate they are, that is why I have an 80 watt UV hooked up to the tank. I think that I will purchase a pbt tomorrow!

viziouskat

Sorry to butt in, I have a hippo and I also want to purchase a powder blue tang. I don't have a UV Sterilizer, how critical is it to purchase one? If I add a PBT, is it more likely to get ick if I don't have a UV?:confused: should I purchase a UV first?
Viziouskat

jon.316

I had a pbt in my 155 for about a month...as soon as my trates went up a bit ( i do water changes every 6 weeks) my ptb attacked dorey.....i had to revert back to every 4 weeks. if u dont have too many filtration problems it'll be okay but beware...they're real ichy

cubuffs

You don't need a UV to keep tangs...I just installed one because I noticed that I had ick before I got the tang.
The UV is basically a preventative to keep ick from spreading in a tank. It zaps the bacteria and kills it as water passes through the unit. I bought a bigger one because I wanted to ensure good quality.
I do a 20% water change every week. I know that it is overkill, but I want the best water quality possible.

viziouskat

Hey, thanks for your advise. So far my filtration is good, I have a Fluval 404, undergravel filter, two Maxi Jets 1200, and a Coral Life 50/50 bulb. This is a Fish only aquarium. So far I have been able to keep my water under control. I also do a 10 gallon water change 2weeks. Everything seems fine. So should I still buy a UV Sterilizer?

jgterrywv

I believe you would be better off buying a skimmer before a UV. UV does not destroy ich. It might slow down its spread, but won't stop it.
Based on what I have read on this board, 60 gal is not big enough for two tangs and many people would question if it is big enough for even one.

cubuffs

I do agree, a protein skimmer is much more needed than a UV. If possible, get the best one that you can afford. Personally, I like Deltec, but the skimmer cost me almost $2000. Please get the best one for you, and I think that an aqua c remora, or a bak pak would be fine for a 60 gallon.
Please don't continue to worry about this. Just get the necessary equipment so you won't be in trouble over time. Remember, your aquarium is always a work in progress, so just take it slow and sooner or later, it will be complete.