Hippo Or Heptus

xxianxx

Ok a while back i was at my lfs and i was looking at a blue Hippo tang and i asked one of the employies how much is the Hippo tang and he said it was called a Blue Heptus tang. so who is right????????

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist ,The Hippo Tang may be referred to as the Hepatus ,Hippo ,or Regal Tang .But its common name is called the Hippo Tang . In my 150 gallon aquarium ,I have 4 tangs ,A Clown tang ,A Hippo Tang , A Yellow Tang ,and A blond Naso Tang .And I'm enjoying the hobby

95harley

Are Hippo's a guarantee for Ich?
I hear such bad thinks about them that they scare me to death. Gourgous fish though.

mr_x

any fish is susceptible to ich. i've had hippos that came with it, and without it. you should qt all new arrivals. that will take the fear out of buying one.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by 95Harley
http:///forum/post/2686385
Are Hippo's a guarantee for Ich?
I hear such bad thinks about them that they scare me to death. Gourgous fish though.
If you have the parasite in your tank then hippos are guaranteed to get it.

While I think hippos are a little more Susceptible for Ich, I believe that the main reason they're always seen with ick is just because they happen to be in EVERY LFS and LFS's fish, always seem to be prone to carrying ich.

srfisher17

If you have ich in your tank, IMO, every fish will get it. Their healthy immune systems are no match for the sheer number of ich bugs that a single cyst produces. Either a tank has ich or it doesn't. It won't just lie in wait for a new fish. The bug has to attach to a fish or perish; if there hasn't been any sign of ich; it must be introduced...thus QT.
Bottom line is that while some fish may be more prone to ich (this is said of many tangs, I just don't know that for sure); any fish can get ich, and in a confined system--most will get it if its introduced. If you QT every fish; ich is easy to cure, even on tangs. If you don't; any fish can introduce ich to your system and you'll face a problem many times the value & time invested in a QT. A QT is VERY cheap insurance.