hippo trouble

dabudkrew

i just bought a tiny hippo and my damssels are harrasing it, this has happened before with my clownfish how long will this happen or how can i make them stop, i dont want anything happen to it, thanks

mike22cha

Damsels and clownfish are pretty territorial. Take it back to the lfs and get a bigger one? Oh and you'll probably want to take out the damsels eventualy. Rearranging lr helps usualy.

dabudkrew

well the clownfish sometime defend my little hippo, it looks cute but the clowns are not always there, i tried to get the damsels out but they are pretty hard to catch

eggs

I went through the same thing, but I only had 1 damsel.
I would give the Hippo a few days, it may get comfortable and fight back, which is what mine did.
It will grow fast.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by dabudkrew
i just bought a tiny hippo and my damssels are harrasing it, this has happened before with my clownfish how long will this happen or how can i make them stop, i dont want anything happen to it, thanks
Damsel problems are probably the most common post on this site; many people just trying to figure how to get them out. As long as you have those little monsters, you're going to have very limited choices as to tankmates.

dabudkrew

i dont think it will fight back anythime soon, its the size of a quarter, but if it does i hope it teaches those damsels a lesson

bexleyfish

get rid of the damsels, I had them only long enough to make sure my expensive fish wouldn't die. Damsels work for the devil

dabudkrew

Originally Posted by BexleyFish
Damsels work for the devil
tell me about it if only i could i left them in the tank cause they stop causeing trouble, i hope its the same with the hippo before its too late

srfisher17

Originally Posted by azfishgal
I wouldn't pay $1 for a damsel. Come to think of it, you couldn't give me one for free.

I'll take the free ones; good SW feeders for my Lion. On the serious side; I wonder how much of this damsel trouble is caused by LFSs encouraging new tank owners to cycle with damsels, rather than just a dead shrimp?

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by dabudkrew
Years back, I started my 75 with a striped and 2 blue devil damsils. I put in my prized hippo tang that was worth 10 times the other fish put together and they immediatly started to attack her. I freaked out too, but I gave it a month and the tang fought back and put them in their place.
I still have the tang, but no damsels

N

nemo_66

you have a hippo. your pretty brave. those things get huge! i didnt think they were saltwater. :D get it, its a joke, you know, hippo.
on the serious side, i would just take the LR out, catch the damsels instead of taking the chance of the hippo fighting back. or, you could buy a fish trap, which is on this site or your LFS

dabudkrew

yeah i finally got them out and he's doing alot better, he's a tiny hipp like the size of a quarter so i dont think it would of fought back, but now i doesnt eat, i put out some veggies but it wont get it, any sugestions?

pco1988

Just give him some time, you just got out the damsels and they created a lot of stress. I wouldn't be alarmed until it has become 3-4 days and still hasn't eaten. Also make sure the food is small enough for him to eat. I have a few hippos in my tanks that size and will only eat tiny little pieces.

dabudkrew

how small, its says to put out a 3 inch strip, what do you recomend for 1 tiny hippo? and should i put it on a clip or put it on a rock?

stanlalee

feed it emerald entree and other omnivore food with vegitation and meat content. Hippo tangs that size feed off of zooplankton. Nothing remotely simular in size has any business going in with established damsels (including other damsels) except perhaps psuedochromis which are probably worse