hippo with ich, what to do??

zero1870

My hippo tang is showing signs of ich. I have 2 perc clowns, a damsel, a cleaner shrimp, and some clams, snails and hermits in my tank. I've set up a QT but it hasn't fully cycled, the nitrites are off the chart. I don't know what to do to treat the hippo, right now i have no way to separate the inverts from the main tank. I did get Mardel CopperSafe for Ich, Velvet, and other external parasites. Anyone know of it?? Is it any good?? please help I don't know what i should do.

lion_crazz

Do NOT use the copper safe anywhere around inverts!!
You need to get the nitrites down immedialey. Is it definitely nitrites and not nitrates? If it is nitrites, get some Fritz_Zyme's Turbo Start to get that down ASAP. That is a live bacteria, and by dosing the bacteria, the bacteria will break down the nitrites into nitrates, which can be removed via a large water change.
Could you tell me about your set-up? What are your levels (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, kH, salinity, and temp)?
Do you just get the tang?
What are you feeding him? Are you using garlic and vitamins?
What other fish are in the tank?

lion_crazz

Saltwater8, I am asking you kindly not to recommend things without proper diagnosis. That is how a lot of things get their bad name. Without proper diagnosis, bad things could happen. For instance, if he was to use Stop Parasite and have a low alkalinity (kH), the Stop Parasite will do a lot more bad than good because it will drop the pH drastically.
Also, if he does not correct the problem of why the fish got ich, the Stop Parasite will not be very effective either.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Saltwater8
Try using Chem-Marin Stop Parasites - it can be used in the main tank.
:happyfish
Saltwater8, I am asking you kindly not to recommend things without proper diagnosis. That is how a lot of things get their bad name. Without proper diagnosis, bad things could happen. For instance, if he was to use Stop Parasite and have a low alkalinity (kH), the Stop Parasite will do a lot more bad than good because it will drop the pH drastically.
Also, if he does not correct the problem of why the fish got ich, the Stop Parasite will not be very effective either.