Hitchhiker ID please

drakken

I found this anemone in my tank. It can move pretty fast. It traveled across the entire tank. Sorry for the bad pic but I took over 20 pics to get this one. It is NOT an aptasia which I'm very familiar with.
So what is it?

teen

did you actually watch it travel across the tank, or could there be more than one of them?

drakken

Originally Posted by teen
did you actually watch it travel across the tank, or could there be more than one of them?
Yesh, we watched in move. It goes pretty quick too.
Bang Guy, if it is a relative of aptasia is it bad?

sebae09

id put my money on floating or swimming anemone (Boloceroides mcmurrichi), what do you guys think?

drakken

The one in my tank is only the size of a dime. The tentacles are purple at the base, brown in the middle and white at the ends.

sebae09

their are various color forms, as with any animal. but bang guys right we need a better pic to properly identify it.

drakken

Originally Posted by sebae09
their are various color forms, as with any animal. but bang guys right we need a better pic to properly identify it.

It's hard to get a good pic of this thing. :(

drakken

I checked on this little creature today and now there are 2 of them! They are side-by-side. One is only a bit smaller than the other.
Do you guys think it split or did I have another that wondered over to the same spot?

reefkprz

Could be either really if its moving a lot that means its not happy where it is and anemones tend to split when stressed as a survival tactic. or they both could have found the same spot by wanting the same conditions. there is no way to know 100%,
By the way I think its a curly cue anemone as well. but i have been wrong before.

drakken

Originally Posted by birdmom
How may tentacles?
Looks like a burrowing Anemone.
Birmom
I counted 10 tentacles.
BTW, now there are 3!! They are all in a line. I tried for a pic but couldn't get a good one.

birdmom

Originally Posted by Drakken
I counted 10 tentacles.
BTW, now there are 3!! They are all in a line. I tried for a pic but couldn't get a good one.
Even a bad pic is better than no picture at all.
I cannot comment on the daily additions & lining up in a row..
But I will say that I would be willing to bet that it is an
"Elegant burrowing anenome"
They have only 1 row & have 16 tentacles..
Birdmom

sebae09

so is it attached to the rock or free floating? as quick as you say its spreading id say its a nusiance anemone.

drakken

I found 3 more of these on the other side of the tank along with ANOTHER type of annemone. I'll try for a good pick of the second kind since I don't what this one is either. This is getting crazy.

birdmom

Originally Posted by Drakken
I found 3 more of these on the other side of the tank along with ANOTHER type of annemone. I'll try for a good pick of the second kind since I don't what this one is either. This is getting crazy.
If they are duplicating that fast I would treat them the same as aspasia...
do some damage controll & get rid of them..
Birdmom