Hitchhiker ID

elfdoctors

I was cleaning out the inside of my cannister filter when I found this hitchhiker. There was only one. It is clearly a bivalve. It is quite small.
This is the best picture I could get. The ruler measures centimeters. The picture does show its striped colors fairly nicely. Any help is appreciated.

elfdoctors

Thanks Bang! You're usually the expert!

However, I thought zebra mussels were freshwater? :notsure:
Or is there a saltwater type also? The freshwater variety does not seem to have much color.
If it is a zebra mussel, is it likely to be a problem? I know the freshwater variety is greatly feared among environmentalists as they hope to prevent them from spreading to my neck of the woods. I did a search on zebra mussels on these boards, and nothing has been mentioned about them for 2 years (and that picture (of wablondie's sure looked like a turkey wing clam to me - I have had one of these in my tank).
If it is any help, this critter was at the very bottom of the cannister filter near the exit. If it reproduces, I could have these all through the tank!

bang guy

I doubt it's really a Zebra Mussel but it looks more like a Mussel than a Clam. There is a type of Turkey Wing Clam that has "Zebra" in the name but they have the backwards opening just like the regular Turkey Wing Clam.