hitchhikers

sea goblin

Do any of you have living things on your hermit or snail shells? I have noticed 2 small little white worm things living on the back of one of my hermit crab's shells. I thought it was kinda cool. Just thought i would ask to see if there were any other hitchhikers out there.

jakob4001

yep, even inverts can have hitch hikers on them...not always a good thing as may be things like hair/bubble algae...occasionally end up w/ snails that have coraline algae & fan worms on them...a hermit crab we bought has several bi valves on it that you can actually watch close & open & grow...would say you should try a decorator crab, but sometimes they may tend to supply their bodies w/ stuff from your tank injuring it

I cant remember where I read it, but I know it was a few years ago. There was a guy that would frag polyps or zenia to empty snails shell, then he would put them in his tank with hermits. Some of the hermits would change shells and walk around with the polyps. I knew he was selling them, but at the time I did not have a sw tank. I was in the research phase of my reef set...an neverending phase...but I remember that I thought it was cool. I would imagine that the shells would get heavy eventually and they would change shells. I never heard about it again. this post just reminded me of it.

david s

i have some snails that look like chia pets lol and a crab with a big baricle on it that filter feeds kinda cool