hlcroghan's 29 gallon thread......

hlcroghan

Wow, thanks so much! That sand does get dirtier more quickly that white sand does but it makes everything pop so much...I love it.
Everything is going really well in the tank. The duncans did get placed a bit too close to the anemone and got stung a bit so I moved them but they are recovering nicely. Still growing new heads.
I'm a little concerned about Peanut my yellow goby...he is just so darn skinny.
I see him eat but he doesn't eat very much and just sits on his little mushroom all day....I don't know if he will make it. I feed him with my pipette and actually specifically put the food right in front of him. I was even rubbing his little mouth with some brine so I am not sure what the issue is. Maybe an internal parasite of some sort. If he dies he would be my first causalty in my tank...:((
I'm hoping he starts eating so he won't starve.

worrballer

Do you have an older, smaller tank you can put him in? You can try to get him to eat that way.
My black clown goby was slow to eat in my old 5.5 but then he warmed up. When I put him in the 29 he was still eating like a champ, even stealing some food from my clown lol. But sadly he took a trip down the drain pipe and didn't survive

hlcroghan

Nah, my 29 is the only tank I have. I don't know if that is the problem..he has plenty to eat. Hopefully he does warm up like you say. Nothing harrasses him at all so I am not really sure what is wrong.

worrballer

My first thought is competition for food. Clown gobies are pretty timid creatures. I guess it is just wait and see.
I hope he pulls thru, I love clown gobies.

hlcroghan

Yours are?? Wow, my green one will sit in my hand sometimes and the one I am worried about will let the pipette touch him but doesn't seem very interested in the food. He takes a couple bites and then just goes back and sits on his house. He never hides or anything......I just have no idea.

hlcroghan

Sometimes he will but only the green one. I think it has to do with the way I feed them like we said before.

hlcroghan

Well, like a few of my previous posts have expressed my little yellow goby, Peanut died last night. CUC took care of him quickly. I believe he had some parasites or worms that were slowly killing him. Poor little guy, he just wasted away to nothing over the last month or so. Everything else in the tank is doing wonderfully so I am not sure what else I could have done.
Anyway, I may replace him or add a midas blenny but I'm not sure. I want to get some more yellow in the tank.
RIP Peanut....hope he is happier now...That makes my first official death in this tank..

hlcroghan

OK, so I am going to attempt moving my tank for the first time....

Let me say I am completely mortified and scared that I will screw up everything....OMG, I just do not want to lose anything in the tank. I even feel bad for all the little star fish and bristle worms that are prolly going to die and I'm praying that I don't kill any of my fish or corals.
I'm trying to think of the best way to do this.
I have read a ton of posts on people moving their tanks so I have a pretty good idea of what to do. Basically put the live rock with all the corals attached and fish in buckets separately, hopefully without stirring up too much crap in the process and killing them, and clean the sand thoroughly with clean saltwater so any gunk gets out of it prior to adding it back to the tank. I am contemplating just starting with new sand except for a few cups of the old stuff on top. I think I will stay with black sand though.
Then transfer all the live stock along with the old tank water to the new apartment. Put back live rock and corals, get it filled the rest of the way up and add back the fish, along with filling up with clean water for the remainder.
One thing that will help is that it is summer here so everything should stay warm during the move.
Anyone have any suggestions to help me at all? I am really pretty nervous about this. And once it is moved does anyone have any idea how long it will take for everything to open back up and settle down?

hlcroghan

I'm moving out of my boyfriend's house on the 1st of September. I figured it was time to have my own place and space. So I gotta take my babies with me. I am just praying I don't kill them in the process......

nissan577

Originally Posted by hlcroghan
http:///forum/post/3105859
I'm moving out of my boyfriend's house on the 1st of September. I figured it was time to have my own place and space. So I gotta take my babies with me. I am just praying I don't kill them in the process......

i hope it makes it great! you guys didnt break up?
dont worry taking it slow everything wil be fine!

worrballer

My suggestion(s):
Make sure the new place is ready for the tank
Place all fish and corals into a bucket (or separate buckets if you have a lot of corals)
Place live rock in bucket(s)
Set up heaters and powerheads in the buckets while you tear down the rest of the tank.
If you can afford it throw the old sand away and buy new non-live sand.
Move everything at once if you can, if not then move the equipment first.
Set up equipment and water/salt/sand (keep your tank water)
Move in rocks (add old water too) make sure it is all clear.
Then move in fish and corals if the levels are good.
Everything is hardier than you think and as long as they are in the same water while you move stuff it'll be fine.
Good luck, you'll be okay

hlcroghan

Thanks for the advice....
No we haven't broken up althought that may eventually happen if he doesn't act like I'm more important than his pretend girlfriends on the computer......ahem....

hlcroghan

So, to update.....I did end up moving on September 1st. My bf and I did fine for a while but finally gave it up this last Thursday.....I really love the guy but we are so incompatible.....ugh.
I actually moved the tank today though. The water is clear so far and most of the livestock I have found, including all my fish. The corals are still pretty closed up but I am sure that is normal. A few of them came off from where they were attached so I will put them back tomorrow.....
so I guess it was more or less successful then..........i didn't destroy my tank and the sand is super clean. Lots of new water......hell they are probably thnking that I lost my mind or something.............Poor little Jose didn't even put up a fight when i pulled him out of the bucket to go back in the tank. He is always feisty. So, I know they went through a lot....

hlcroghan

Update: The move went relatively well. I didn't lose any fish at all. I lost one mushroom when it came unattached from the rock it was on and one hermit crab. Not sure what happened to that guy. But all in all, a pretty successful move. Got a lot of gunk cleaned out of the tank which is really good. My nitrates came down a bit. Gotta love that....corals probably took about 4 days to open back up completely and Jose was back to his normal feisty self in no time at all...lol
All of my coraline algae did turn white on the back glass so that looks a bit strange but I don't mind it. I'm sure it will purple up again soon. Definitely not the biggest of my concerns...
Thanks for all the advice on the move everyone!!

hlcroghan

Awww, thanks Miss Kitty.......I appreciate the concern....I have been super busy the last few weeks for sure. A lot of changes in my life. I'm single for the first time in like a decade..

And I also live all by myself for the first time ever.....pretty weird feeling. But I am definitely learning to adjust. Takes a lot of time.
Right now I am so glad to have my tank honestly. It gives me something to do and allows me to watch my fish play and live and thrive and I get so much joy from that.