Hlle?

ohioreef

I just got a Blue Tang from my LFS. I think that he has HLLE. I've attached a photo below. Is this HLLE? How should I treat it?

baboon

ohioreef, that is definetly HLLE. I had a Blue Hippo once that had it. First check to make sure you have no stray electrical currents in your water with a multi-meter. Next make sure your water parameters are good. Next, make sure he is getting a proper diet; I fed mine culerpa macro-algea and that worked very well. I could tell the difference in about two weeks. Make sure he is getting the right amount of greens in his diet. This should help. I also used something called Fish Solution that seemed to possibly help a little bit. Good luck.

ohioreef

Thanks for the info.
My LFS was giving him away free. They told me that the LLE was caused by malnutrition.
They suggested that I feed frozen brine shrimp with spirolina mixed in.
I also normally feed seaweed on a clip to my yellow tang. Would that be beneficial to him?
I've heard mention of Zoe and Selcon. Would either of those be beneficial?
Thanks!!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, definately HLLE. Follow the advise given above, and add a grounding probe to your tank as well as your sump if you have one.
Start offerring this fish a lot of greens such as Seaweed Selects, as well as a good variety of meaty foods. You can add zeocon to the meaty foods which is good for HLLE. Meals at least 3x a day in addition to leafs of seaweed.
What size tank do you have? Do you have LR? What are your water readings, including nitrate?

ohioreef

I have a 75 gallon tank with approx 83lbs of LR/BR.
I just tested and my parameters are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate .1
Calcium 460
Alk 4.0
pH 8.0
Salinity 35
Temp 78
My phosphates had been reading zero, not sure why it jumped to .1 today. I inadvertently got some of the LFS water into my tank when I added the Blue Tang, so I'm not sure if that could be the source.
What kind of meaty foods should I use?
Have you heard of Vita-Chem? That was recommended elsewhere.
Will this fish ever have a chance of getting his color back?

pyro

I beleive fish can make an almost full recovery. In the stickys there is a before and after picture I beleive.