HOB filter questions

salty cheese

I want to buy a HOB to run carbon and a phosphate sponge(incase of an emergency) but I have no experience with this type of filter. So please help me decide which one to buy.
Are there any differances between certain filters besides the price?
My tank is 46 gal.
Thanks S.C.

dskidmore

Are you going to just throw out the media that comes with the filter and run the carbon instead, or are you going to use the filter's filtering function?
If you're not using the filter itself, you only need to look at the GPH rating and the size of the box you have to put media in.
If you didn't already have a sutible heating arrangement, you could consider spending the extra for one of those filters with an integrated heater.
If you are going to use it as a regular filter, look at the kind of media it uses, and the ongoing cost of replacement. My freshwater tank uses a filter with reusable sponges, I switched from one that had those poly filter bags that never rinse cleanly and have to be replaced regularly.

squidd

The Magnum 250 HOB is "the" unit for hang on "chemical" filtration...
Get the reusable/refillable "carbon/media" container and its a piece of cake...
I like the Magnum 350 "under tank" model with the cartridge...
I set it up with two 6' hoses and can carry it around from tank to tank like a "shop vac"...For running carbon or even "filter floss" for vacuuming out the bottom of the sump...:yes:
Ever try to get a siphon going when your sump is "under tank" and almost floor level...:thinking:
And it has a nice little "carrying" handle on it...

salty cheese

DSkid, Yes that is all I want to do. How many GPH do I need for it to be effective?
Squid, sorry about not giving you enough info, I have 75# of lr 3-4" sand bed and a Euro-Reef ES5-3 for filtration. I was just looking to polish the water once and awhile and to prepare for (I hope the day will never come) an emergency.
Thanks again.

salty cheese

Originally posted by FLATZBOY
Canister filter are nicer then hog filters. Its easier to take them on and off.

Really:thinking: I always thought they were more of a compicated set up than a HOB/HOT. Like I said, I'm ignorant about this subject.
All I want is the ability to plop the thing on the tank, use it and then pull it off with the least amount of fuss.:D

squidd

It's cool, we're still talking about the same thing...
For po4 and silicate removal, I run that in a seperate canister...(one for each tank) the feric based medias have a longer running time and stay active up to 6 months in my system...
Carbon on the other hand has a much shorter usable life (24-48 hrs) and is run in a "seperate" filter...
The HOB/HOT setup would be easier to plug and play than the canisters (just a little) and for one tank that would work fine...
Again, the Magnum HOT has an effective "carbon/media" "cartridge" that is easy to fill/use and clean...It also is an easy "prime" to get started and has a "hose" attachment for those little "clean up" jobs in the sump...
HTH

flatzboy

Originally posted by Squidd
It's cool, we're still talking about the same thing...
HTH

Yeah I agree sometimes you say your opinion and someone goes off on you. I like using the magnum canister filter to, I don't have one but my neighbor has one that he uses to run carbon to and he lets me borrow it when I need it. I am thinking of getting the coralife 9 watt uv steralizer though for my 46g. reef. We run a mombo 36 watt on my parents 75g. reef and I know a lot of people don't like the uv's but man does it do a nice job!! The water is always crystal clear to the point where the fish look like there flying. We never have had an algea outbreak or ick. Thet are a good alternative for a water polisher to, You don't have to run them full time either. There a little pricy but Imo they are a great investment if you want to spend a little money.

squidd

I run UV on my 210 aggressive...actually the po4/silicate "canister" is what powers it...
And then the Magnum 350 is set like a "shop vac" for general maintainence, carbon and polishing...
I like to run it just after "pruning/harvesting" Macros to catch any chemical release they may have from "stress"...
I guess getting ripped out by your "roots" can be stressful...:D

dskidmore

Originally posted by Salty Cheese
DSkid, Yes that is all I want to do. How many GPH do I need for it to be effective?

To be honest, I'm not really sure, but it doesn't look like anyone else is taking a stab at it.
For normal "water polishing", one of the bottom rated filters would be fine, but if you have an emergency like a cucumber exploding, or your roomate spilling in soap, you're going to want the water to turn over pretty quick.
You could always in an emergency just tie an extra bag of carbon around any of your powerheads or other filter outlets. Just make sure you have extra media bags on hand and you don't have to get the higher powered filter.

squidd

Originally posted by DSkidmore
To be honest, I'm not really sure, but it doesn't look like anyone else is taking a stab at it.

:D You brought it up...I was waiting to see your reasoning and numbers...:D
Actually, "flow volume" is not as important as "using that flow efficiently"
250 gph through your sump is different than 250 gph through a HOB and a different "efficiency factor" than 250 gph through a "fluidized bed"...
Here's a post I did on another thread...
****Carbon works best when placed in a high flow area, and better yet when water is "forced" through it and the granules can be kept "fluidized" and contact made on all surfaces...
Putting it in a bag and leaving it sit on the bottom of the sump is probably the least effective method...
Placing a a bag in a high flow area such as the overflow drain chamber would be a little "better"...
Having it in a separate "chamber" like a canister filter with just the carbon no other media or sponges or filters is a bit more effective...
And a "fluidized bed" chamber would be best...
That said...I run mine in an old canister filter that I had laying around...
I should also mention I do not run carbon 24/7 but rather 24-48 hrs once a month or so when I do WCs or "harvest " macros or if i feel the need to "polish" the water or am concerned about chemical contaminants, alleopathy or other...

flatzboy

Originally posted by Squidd
:D You brought it up...I was waiting to see your reasoning and numbers...:D
Actually, "flow volume" is not as important as "using that flow efficiently"
250 gph through your sump is different than 250 gph through a HOB and a different "efficiency factor" than 250 gph through a "fluidized bed"...
Here's a post I did on another thread...
****Carbon works best when placed in a high flow area, and better yet when water is "forced" through it and the granules can be kept "fluidized" and contact made on all surfaces...
Putting it in a bag and leaving it sit on the bottom of the sump is probably the least effective method...
Placing a a bag in a high flow area such as the overflow drain chamber would be a little "better"...
Having it in a separate "chamber" like a canister filter with just the carbon no other media or sponges or filters is a bit more effective...
And a "fluidized bed" chamber would be best...
That said...I run mine in an old canister filter that I had laying around...
I should also mention I do not run carbon 24/7 but rather 24-48 hrs once a month or so when I do WCs or "harvest " macros or if i feel the need to "polish" the water or am concerned about chemical contaminants, alleopathy or other...

Well put.:D

dskidmore

Not Much. People tend to say that carcoal loses it's effectiveness in the sump in 2 days. Let's say the average sump runs 10x turnover, and you want the charcoal to even out it's effectiveness over a month, that means 1x turnover should be plenty.
I'd say 50-75 GPH for water polishing, with the understanding that's not going to cut the mustard in an emergency filtering situation. For emergency filtering, you'd want to get the carbon bag in front of your primary pump.