Hola, I'm new!

seareef

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the community so I figured i'd say howdy to everyone!
I currently have a 20 gallon sea horse tank (My baby) and a 150 gallon reef.
In the 20 gallon I have :
2 sea horses
1 lawnmower blenny
20lbs of live rock
filter designed for a 55 gallon tank
and basic power compact.
In my 150 I have:
2, 400 Watt MH's, 4 Power Compacts (all running at 20k)
2, Mag drive 18's ...total water flow around 2700 GPH
1 Skimmer, its designed for a 75Gal, Im not big into skimming.
1 40Gallon sump
300lbs of Live rock
100lbs of sand.
Live stock:
1. Naso Tang
1. Blue Hippo
1. Kole Tang
1. Sail Fin.
4 Green cromis
3 assorted gobies
2. False perc's
3 jaw fish
1 Mandrin
Tons of snails/crabs
35/40 Corals.
Anyways thats the low down on my stuff. Hopefully soon I can figure out how to post pictures.
:joy:

seareef

Originally Posted by fishamajig
just a question.. . . . why arent you big into skimming? :notsure:
I've found throughout the years that tanks that are more “Lagoon like " tend to do better with less skimming...because with skimming you get a lot of good. and a lot of bad. While pulling out detritus and other waste products it’s also pulling out nutrients that are healthy for corals/fish. So I personally run a deep sanded, (Keep in mind I set it up correctly) and a small skimmer. This process has worked very well for me for the past 2 years in this tank. The tank before this ...I had up for around 8 years with no problems... thing I remind most people is...everyone’s tanks are different, just like each keeper...I prefer to keep my tank this way while others keep there tanks a different way. Most think I’m crazy…. But its something that works for me...and has in the past...
Had a discussion with Anthony Calfo about a month regarding my reef keeping methods, He basically stated the same thing as what I’ve said…everyone’s tanks run different… Something’s work for others some don’t. He also mentioned he has seen many other people run successful Reefs the same way I keep mine….But something I didn’t mention is I do keep plant life in my ecosystem to pull nitrate and nasty things out of the water. As for CO2…I’m a huge fan of having it in a tank for plant life/corals….but I’ve found dosing it isn’t something I like to do…so that’s why I have a bit more livestock then most would have in a reef. As the fish produce CO2

seareef

Originally Posted by Mr_Bill
Hello, and welcome!! :jumping:

Thanks Mr. Bill!
Before I joined this forum, I had spent a few days reading others posts...This place seems like an amazing community of reef keepers...everyone so helpful!
Thank you again for the warm welcome!

Does anyone know how to post pictures?
I'm not as computer geeky as I would like to be.

ctgretzky9

Hola back...or is it holla' back?
Either way, welcome, and dont listen to what anyone says about anything here...lol...jk!
Have fun! <insert beer icon here>

ctgretzky9

When you post anything, look down below and see the "attach files" section? Click on the"manage attachments" button, and this will bring up another window.
Click on "browse", find the file on your desktop or from files you have, then click on "upload"
Experiment...go on, you know you want to....

seareef

Yay I figured it out.

Anywho,
The first 2 pictures are of my 20 Gal Sea horse tank.
second 2 photos are of my main display
Forgive the colors as my MH's are not on yet, also the second photo I tried to adobe it to change the colors so it didn't look so blue.
Hope you enjoy!

misfit

WELCOME
:cheer:
Those are some great looking tanks and good job on the first pictures. How long have you been in the hobby?

reefman22

Welcome!! I love seeing new members because that means, more people to help and more people who give help! I have had 100s of questions answered on these boards. Its a great place to be. You have awesome tanks by the way! Do you have any other pictures/questions? We are all here to help eachother! :)
REEFMAN

seareef

Been in the hobby for lil over 8 years... Once my MH's ...are on today Ill take some photos of my tank fully lit.... its a beaut!
thanks for the kind comments guys!
~Chris

seareef

Originally Posted by alyssia
Welcome! I have a 20 gallon seahorse tank also. I have kudas. What kind of horses are yours?

Honestly I dont remember what kind, I believe in the wild they're Yellow.
Give me some time and I can figure it out, But they're on dead food : Misits,Brine Shrimp.

fishamajig

ok i understand the use of marine plants, and for the dsb and the small skimmer. the dsb will sink phosphates and reduce the amount of nuscience algie, while denitrifying and bieng a breeding groung for beneficial microfauna. I was once an avid bare bottomer sps guy. since then i have converted to a dsb and i like it so far. the only problem i have with the above statement is the beneficial organic material left over for the fish and corals that the skimmer does not take out?
would this be phyto/zoo planketon?
why not just turn the skimmer off during dosing for a few hours. I have a book with numbers of some of the great reefs in the world (great barrier reef, red sea, belieze barrier reef) and the total disolved organics are still very low in lagoon type areas.
dont think I am trying to blast you. just trying to have a cool reef discussion. I am in the middle of building a skimmer that would rip the scales off the fish nevermind disolved organics.
what is your take on this comment?
oh and by adding co2 to your tank isnt that messing with the ph big time?
i thought that was for freshwater planted tanks?

seareef

I dont add C02 ...the fish produce it...it stays where it should be.... I dont even check my levels for anything any longer....I've heard of some people doing it for certin plants..etc... personally I wouldn't dose anything like that...maybe ozone...but thats still a debateable topic for home aquariums.
I just dont care for skimming....theres info out on the web... but anyways ...im super tired.
goodnight guys.

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by alyssia
Welcome! I have a 20 gallon seahorse tank also. I have kudas. What kind of horses are yours?

Duh! She said they were SEA horses....lol...hehe...just kidding.