"Holiday" Tree

reefbabe

Here's the latest one......what a joke. The liberals want us all to take the "Christmas" out of christmas tree and it's now being called the "holiday" tree. Here is a tradition that is based on christianity, the "tree" many years later adapted from Peganism but is now associated with, a tradition called Christmas which marks the birth of Jesus Christ. Just so noone feels left out...I think we should all start calling the menorah "holiday" candles during Chanukah!

littlebuck

Im my house its called a christmas tree. But it does kinda make me mad that they want to do that. Just like anything else in this world people try to change everything. If other people dont like to call it xmas tree then dont call it that and dont get one. if it was for christmas there would be no stores beause most of all the sales happen around christmas NOTHING else.......

dogstar

Politicaly, Im mostly liberal and I dont want you to take Christmas out of your tree if you want to have Christmas in your tree.

littlebuck

yes thats a good point dogstar. they were talkngi about it on teh radio the other day and this one guy called in and was saying its against the christain rel to call it anything else but a christmas tree. it was funny trying to makehis point but it didnt work to well.

dogstar

Well that guy can beleive that if thats what he wants. Thats his right to freedom of religon. But if someone of a different religion can call their tree what ever they like I feel. Im a Christian and I dont worship trees. I do worship God for his ability to create them though.

littlebuck

yes that is right i was just saying. but people shouldnt try and force it on anyone. its a pine tree LOL

T

thomas712

He stared down at Who-ville!
The Grinch popped his eyes!
Then he shook!
What he saw was a shocking surprise!
Every Who down in Who-ville, the tall and the small,
Was singing! Without any presents at all!
He HADN'T stopped Christmas from coming!
IT CAME!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!
And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling: "How could it be so?
It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
"It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
And he puzzled three hours, `till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store.
"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"
Call it what you will, purchase what you want, all of it material or none of it. That day, or any day you wish it to be, will always be Christmas, no matter what the nay~sayers say!

mimzy

ok....I take issue with having a NATIONAL christmas tree - as u might have seen in the "tax dollars" thread, but what people do in their own homes and busineses is up to THEM. Holiday tree my foot. All this trying to prevent alienation and all they end up doing is descriminating against people!!!! :mad:
As my Mother always says:
Don't be so open-minded that your brains are falling out.
Merry CHRISTMAS.

dogstar

As a Christain, I have a Christmas tree, As an Americian, I dont think the Gov. should put up a tree if they are going to officaily call it a Christmas tree unless they put up symbols of other religions and give them equal respect symbolizeing their holidays, during the time of those holidays.. Haveing just a " Christmas " tree only respects the " one " established religon and that goes against Artical One of the Bill Of Rights.

1journeyman

As long as the Federal Holiday is "Christmas" then it should be called a Christmas tree....
Now, if you want to take away "Christmas" as a federal holiday that is a different argument. (And a bad one... but we need to focus on the task at hand)

tangman99

I'm not the most religious person, but I still enjoy Christmas and I have 4 christmas trees in my house. I for one am fed up with the Politically Correct B.S. I don't give a Rat's bunghole what everyone else calls their trees, candles or any other religious artifact or day of celebration and I think the people that are all up in arms about it need to get a life and extend us the same courtesy. Call it a holiday tree if you wish, just don't get a pinecone up your rearend if I choose to call it a Christmas Tree!

scubadoo

I find it interesting that some smaller groups beleive Christmas has roots in pagnism and therefore the tree is a pagan issue...and others believe it is religious promotion.
Either way, I am amazed at the lengths these groups will go to in order to force their views on others.
If a government entitiy has a tree on their property and calls it a Christmas tree how is this forcing a view on some group? They are not forcing folks to worship it or to celebrate CHristmas, send a letter to Santa Claus or bowdown and pray. Do these individuals actually find the words Merry Christmas and Christmas in general offensive? How many of these whiners actually exist and what percentage of the population here in the US do they represent ? DO they gladly take that Christmas holiday pay...or do they refuse to accept it? Do they insist to work on that day? Do they refuse US money due to the wording that appears on same?
You are free to practive festivus or any other religion or holiday you so choose. One would have to accept a Christmas tree as a symbol of Christianity...or one can accept it as whatever symbol they so choose...if at all.
If you find it offensive simply ignore it...I ignore Richard Simmons but recognize he has a right to his existence.

tangman99

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
If you find it offensive simply ignore it...I ignore Richard Simmons but recognize he has a right to his existence.
Dude, it is impossible to ignore Richard Simmons when he is jumping around with his candy stripe shorts on. That guy is just plain scary. :scared:

dogstar

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
As long as the Federal Holiday is "Christmas" then it should be called a Christmas tree....
Now, if you want to take away "Christmas" as a federal holiday that is a different argument. (And a bad one... but we need to focus on the task at hand)
Well, this is a good point.
I understand ppl. feelings about Christmas but my point is the Bill of rights is pretty clear on its meaning, At least to those that understand it. Maybe the point is do ppl. agree with Artical One..Or at least the part about religon and Goverment.
Im not debateing the point that individuals have the right to worship and have trees or whatever and call it what ever.
The Artical is there for that reason, to protect the individual freedoms from the majority and the powerfull. "what percentage of the population here in the US do they represent "
Even if its just one person.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by Dogstar
I understand ppl. feelings about Christmas but my point is the Bill of rights is pretty clear on its meaning, At least to those that understand it. Maybe the point is do ppl. agree with Artical One..Or at least the part about religon and Goverment.
Im not debateing the point that individuals have the right to worship and have trees or whatever and call it what ever.
The Artical is there for that reason, to protect the individual freedoms from the majority and the powerfull. "what percentage of the population here in the US do they represent "
Even if its just one person.
For a full discuss on that issue, head on over to the Tax Thread. It will pretty much blow this concept out of the water.

J

jdragunas

as i said in the thread "the 'c' word", this is ridiculous... you cannot pick apart the christian religion, take it's symbol for the birth of it's savior, and then say "oh, this bothers people, lets change it's name, but still keep the same concept". Even if they change it to "holiday tree", people will still refer to it as a christmas tree, because THAT'S WHAT IT IS!!! If they want to do something during the holidays that isn't going to offend people, they need to come up with a completely new symbol to represent all of the holidays... like a wreath or something! OR, display something from all of the religions!!!

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I understand ppl. feelings about Christmas but my point is the Bill of rights is pretty clear on its meaning, At least to those that understand it. Maybe the point is do ppl. agree with Artical One..Or at least the part about religon and Goverment....
"Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."
No idea how that can be interpreted to say anything about a "seperation of church and state".