holy ick!!!! wiped tank....

ebaybrad

i baby sat my friends fish that turned out to have ick. it killed off all my fish before i had a chance to intervene. the tank is empty now for 2 days...do i need to do something before getting new fish? I just did a partial water change and cleaned out the sump. Does ick stay in the water? Will my new fish get it if i buy em? What should i do?

wanabebell

theres an easy way to stop ick
make a water change
But dont add any salt get you salinity to .017 to point .019
leave it alone for a day
add salt the next day and your done
for future refrence what i do to make sure i dont have any ick in my tank i have three cleaner shrimp and they do the trick
I saw that my foxface had ick. he swam by the shrimp and the shrimp jumped on and cleaned him off havent had ick since

birdy

Going to have to disagree with the above post.
The best thing you can do to kill the Ick in your tank is to leave it fishless for 4wks, Ick has a life cycle and if there is no fish host to continue that cycle then it will die, then you can add more fish to your tank (I highly recommend QT them before hand to prevent future problems with Ick).
No fast or easy way to do it, you will have to leave your tank fishless to break the lifecycle.

hot883

Originally Posted by Birdy
Going to have to disagree with the above post.
The best thing you can do to kill the Ick in your tank is to leave it fishless for 4wks, Ick has a life cycle and if there is no fish host to continue that cycle then it will die, then you can add more fish to your tank (I highly recommend QT them before hand to prevent future problems with Ick).
No fast or easy way to do it, you will have to leave your tank fishless to break the lifecycle.
I whole heartedly agree with Birdy. The previous posted method is not effective in any way shape or form!

mikeyjer

I agree with Birdy too. But at the sametime if the fish is healthy, they shouldn't get ich. When the ich wipe out my tank, I still had two green chromis within that NEVER got ich. I still have them today. I didn't add nothing to the tank for about 2 months. But the green chromis are hardy fish, so that may have something to do with it too. I had these two guys from the very beginning since I got these tanks, they're fighters!!! :happyfish