Home Depot Lights

bheron

maybe a dumb question. why can't we use some of the great high wattage halogen or MH lighting in home depot for our reef tanks? for exmaple, i'll see a 500W MH light for like $60? whereas this would cost hundereds for an 500W aquarium light.
am i making any sense??

fishman830

i beg to differ!
i'm currently using a metal halide garage unit. 175 watt.. i think a 10k bulb, so far i have a leather and some zoo's under it.. no problems

fishman830

it raises the tank temp 1 degree.. the room my tank is in stays constant.. i havn't had a problem
and nice avatar kip :)

maverick005

so by what your saying kip, i could use the HD ballast with an aquarium bulb in theory? but i would have a heat and ballast placement problem potentially? just making sure im taking all this the correct way.
thanks for the help
-brandon

beaslbob

Originally posted by bheron
maybe a dumb question. why can't we use some of the great high wattage halogen or MH lighting in home depot for our reef tanks? for exmaple, i'll see a 500W MH light for like $60? whereas this would cost hundereds for an 500W aquarium light.
am i making any sense??

halegen is cheaper but when i checked a 150w haligen has less lumens that a single 40w 4' NO. Seems that was an equiplvant incand. wattage. So there could be a very good reason the home depot is cheaper. be sure to check how they rate the fixtures and how much lightis put ot as well as the specrum

fishman830

Originally posted by Kip4130
is it one of those all in one units... where the ballast is enclosed in the fixture with the bulb
are you using this 175w on a 125g?

yes, you are corrdct on both, and when my tank goes inwall i'll be adding 425 w. for a total of 600

enomadra

From experence I would have to say I agree with Kip4130. I have tried using cheap stuff and I got cheap results (poor extention not as bright and brilliant color). When I switched to the correct lighting I saw major imporvements, my corals got bigger and brighter and just looked heathy. For the amount that I saved on the cheaper lighting It was no were near worth it.
Just my 2 cents.:D

bheron

I had a feeling it would be a simple one or two answers why not. but, it actuallysounds like there's some debate.
to clear up what I meant, I'll see if I can get some photos of what I'm talking about.
i'm very sure these cant' be used b/c it sounds too good to be true. But either way I'll see if I can clear it up.

fishman830

so you were able to get a 10k bulb for it... any problems with it firing? any problems with it flickering? any noise/hum problems?
when you upgrade tank/lights... will you use these all-in-one fixtures for all of your lighting?
i think once you accumulate a couple of these you may see temperature problems... i guess it hasnt gotten warm in Jersey yet
how much are you paying for these homedepot fixtures... arent they like 200 bucks
looks like you could come out a little cheaper buying everything bare bones.. then you'd be sure to get a quality ballast and be able to locate the ballast a good distance from your tank
just a thought.

Not sure if it's a 10k.. i'm pretty sure it is.
no problems firing it up.. there is a hum, but it's fairly quiet.
When i upgrade, i'll strip them of t heir metal cases and mount them together.. the 175 in teh middle and 100's on the sides. i got mine all on ----.. cost about 30 bucks a pop w/ ballast bulb.. everything
and it just got warm today ... 'bout time!

beaslbob

definitely dont get halogen... get halide
and... it looks as if bob wants to make spine cringe by mentioning lumens
you are such a pal bob :)

Just trying to throw some light on the subject.:D

gjohnnyp

bheron, i asked the same question the other day. there is a guy that replied and said he bought his unit at hd and bought the 10000 k bulb from hamilton and coravue. says its fine. Im gonna do the same. Except im going with the 300 w unit from lowes for like $20 then ill buy the bulbs online.

neowind

If its an electronic ballast you can run 400w bulbs in a 300w ballast they will not be at their full potential though. I have also been told you could run a 250w bulb in a 400w electronic ballast but that I haven't tried. But kips advise is the safest.