home depot sand

bdac24

I have been looking for this southdown sand everyone says they get at home depot. But, my local home depot does not have it. I saw a brand labeled best sand at toysrus is this a usable sand(it is pretty fine grain and white in color) I plan on mixing whatever sand I end up with some live sand.
Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would not put whatever sand you can get in your tank. If you get sand with lots of silica, then you will be asking for more trouble than you ever expected in terms of algae and diatom control. If you can't get the Southdown, then look for marine-grade sand at your LFS or online.

cchung718

Yeah... i think you should go get sand treated for aquarium use. I won't trust any sand to be put into my aquarium.

S

slk3599

According to Home Depot, the Southdown sand is only sold in stores in the east up to Ohio. The midwest and west is out of luck.

marine qa

I have not been able to get Southdown sand at any Home Depot in PA or DE. Has anyone had any experience with Quickcrete's play sand?

jimi

Marine QA where in PA do you live? I have found South Down sand at 3 Home Depots in PA. It is not kept with the quikrete playsand it is in the gardening section with the decorative stones and shrubs. Asking employees may not help. I would not recommend using quikrete type sand even though some have.

I have been using the quickcrete sterilized play sand for about two years now. I had it in my shark tank a year back. Worked great and had no problems whatsoever. Then I had to move and broke the tank down and took the shark to a local aquarium. Don't be afraid to use it. People don't know until they try. That's what use now in my FOWLR now. No problems and it's been in there for almost a year now.
peace
doug

marine qa

Jimi, I am in the far southeast, fifteen minutes from DE. The HDs near me had quikrete sand in both the garden and building areas. I think you are an hour or so north of me.
CosmosBasement, that is good news. The grain looked good, and at 2.97 for a big bag the price is right. Have you mixed this w/LS, and if you did, did you stir it together or put it down in layers?
[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: Marine QA ]

I mixed it. I took a 5 gallon bucket and dropped the NAtures Ocean in then the sand. Mixed it together with Saltwater from the tank (I had to take some out anyway because it would have overlfowed when I added more sand.) Then I took a big plastic cup and used it as a scooper and displaced the sand on the bottom as close as I could get. No cloudiness or anything. Just make sure you rinse the regular sand for a day or two. Then I went to the lfs two days later after making sure there were no spikes or anything and got their live sand. Has a lot of critters, small crabs and stars. A little under 10lbs and put that on the top. Dropped it right in and mixed it around my tank. No problems. Good luck.
peace
doug

marine qa

Thanks jimi, The 10glb LS seemed to fill the sump area to approx 2 inches, and as I'm sort of a biological sump test case, my LFS is hooking me up with another 10lbs free. So I probably will go with LS only.
P.S. Have you been to the aquarium wharehouse in Lancaster? I've not, but they say its huge.

jimi

Yes I go there evry few months for dry goods. Dont buy livestock from them they are usually pretty diseased.The turn over rate is incredible.