Home Made Refugium?

c1rusx02

i'm planning on turning my nano cube dx (12 gallons) into a refugium for my 50 gallon tank
right now
i have a wet dry filter... and i plan on decreasing the amount of bioballs in there.... then i plan on putting like a rio 600 with hosing leading to the nanocube.... the nanocube's filter is always going to be running... and then i plan on having another rio 600 in there pumping the water back into the wet dry... where my rio 1100 will pump it back into my tank..... is this a good idea for a refugium?
i'll also have a remora aquaC protein skimmer hanging off my tank

jasenhicks

I would say no. Any time you have one pump pumping to another open container and another pump pumping back, its a real iffy situation. If one fails, the flow rates perfectly matched, etc. I would just T the drain off your tank one to the wet dry, one to the fuge, and use the one pump to flow to the big pump, and use the big pump back to the tank.

A

andretti

Two things: first is this going to be a reef tank? Because if it is, you don't want any bio-balls. They trap waste and that leads to excess nitrates (not good for reef tanks). Second, I have to agree with the previous post; you will never get two pumps to pump the same amount of water. You're asking for a flood.

T

thomas712

I agree its never going to work with two pumps as you suggest, they will never truly be balanced. Better to gravity feed to the fuge, gravity feed to the wet/dry or even have them hooked up so that the overflow runs into the wet/dry where your return pump is.
Thomas