Homemade Food??

cjqsmom

I want to make some home made food for my fish but have a few questions.
For my reef tank I have two scallops in it I purchased some alasken scallops and my husband said if I put it in the tank then the fish will go after his scallops? Will they?
The shrimp I bought was fresh raw with salt. Do I just rinse it off with ro water?
I was reading to add fresh garlic, but I also read that garlic is only good to add when it is fresh, in other words use it right after you mash it so is that because the good stuff in it disappears within minutes. So is it better to use garlic extreme or fresh garlic or wait to add garlic when I am de-frosting it?
I have selcon should I add that to the mix or just ontop a few times a week?
I add seaweed sheets to the tanks daily should I continue that and add to the food or just add to the tank via veggie clips?
What kind of sponge and where do I find it for angels?
cyclops should that be added to the mix?
any good receipes I seen Beths but was wondering how to work it with tangs and angels.
Thanks in advance Celeste

reefkprz

Originally Posted by cjqsmom
http:///forum/post/2700527
I want to make some home made food for my fish but have a few questions.
For my reef tank I have two scallops in it I purchased some alasken scallops and my husband said if I put it in the tank then the fish will go after his scallops? Will they? No, in fact it will prevent that if they are lacking a nutrient scallops contain getting it regularly in their diet will prevent them from preying on his live ones.
The shrimp I bought was fresh raw with salt. Do I just rinse it off with ro water? rinse it in a cup of tank water.
I was reading to add fresh garlic, but I also read that garlic is only good to add when it is fresh, in other words use it right after you mash it so is that because the good stuff in it disappears within minutes. So is it better to use garlic extreme or fresh garlic or wait to add garlic when I am de-frosting it? Wait untill defrosting it, garlic extreme is really only fgfor flavor despite the claims of health benifits. once the overoxidation occurs many of the health benifits are lost
I have selcon should I add that to the mix or just ontop a few times a week? Either it doesnt really matter
I add seaweed sheets to the tanks daily should I continue that and add to the food or just add to the tank via veggie clips? I do both but not daily. veggies in the food and sheets every couple days
What kind of sponge and where do I find it for angels? buy "angel and butterfly blend food from san fransisco bay foods" it has sponge in it
cyclops should that be added to the mix?sure, cyclops is good for a lot of things
any good receipes I seen Beths but was wondering how to work it with tangs and angels. (recipie: anything raw at the seafood counter except oily and fatty fish like tuna salmon and swordfish add veggies and some of the angel butterfly formula and your good to go.
Thanks in advance Celeste
I replied in red inside your quote

cjqsmom

thank you,
I need to go to another store where I went all they had was shrimp and scallops. I was looking for clam since I read here that if you buy a clam in shell and dice it up then put it back into the shell after breaking the hinge my copper banded butterfly will eat it and hopefully leave my polyps alone. I think he took out some mushrooms last night either him or my turbo snails or my ablony.

cjqsmom

thank you Jon,
very interesting read but my only concern was I have read not to put bloodworms in a saltwater tank as they are for fresh water fish.

I use clams, scallops, shrimp, mussels, squid, a white salt water fish, and nori. I put them in a blender and add some water. Mix well and either put the mix on wax paper and let it freeze in sheets or put them in plastic containers and let them freeze. You'll have to cut the ones in the plastic containers but it takes up less freezer space. I also use mysis, reef planktin, cyclops, and bigger pieces of silver side and shrimp as supplements. I don't use any chemicals or vitiams in my tank, less crap in the water is better.

m0nk

Yeah, I agree with everything above, I usually use raw cocktail shrimp, squid, clams, scallops, mysis shrimp, cyclop-eeze, and algae sheets in my homemade mix. A cool thing that helps is pressing the mixed food into egg crate and freezing like that... the squares in egg crate are roughly the same size as most frozen cube food that you'd buy pre-made, so it's easier to measure out how much to feed.
HTH

I have to make more sometime this week, I like the ice cube tray idea. I'll put it in the outside freezer so the wife won't see it.