Homemade Omnivore Marine Recipes?

I'm tired of paying $10 for 7 oz. of Formula 1, Formula 2, Angel Formula, etc. Anybody have any good omnivore D.I.Y. Fish food recipes? I've got a good blender! :D

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Go to the fresh seafood section of your grocery store and see if they have a pre-mix makeup [usually done to mix up a seafood salad, but, in this case great for fish food]. The one I get is usually musels, shrimp, scallops, squid, lobster, clams. If they have this, ask them to give you a handful [or 2, depending on your size fish and # of tank occupants]. If they don't have this, then ask them to give you a mix of whatever stuff you want to feed your fish--again amounting to about a handful, or, if you have big agressive eating fish, then 2 handfuls.
Take this home and food process it to the chunk size you think is best for your particular fish. If you have herbivores, then add Seaweed Selects or Nori, or, if you want to add people food to that, carrots, peas, broccoli, spinich. Food process. If you like to add supplements, then do this too, but don't make it too mushy.
It stinks, but is good eating for fish and inverts.
:D

nm reef

don't know if it counts as a recipe but heres what I do to add to my critters diet
once a month I get 2 sm scallop..2 sm shrimp..add 1 sheet seaweed select..zoe..run thru blender....pour in old formula container.........add one half cube to both reef and fowlr/ls twice a week..........guys seem to like it fine

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I tried doing the "cube" thing with the frozen fish food pkg, but it was too hard. Instead, now I get those lightweight popup aluminum sheets that they sell to wrap sandwiches, cut them up into appropriate sizes then drip spoonfuls onto each little aluminum square. Wrap it up, but not too tight cause it will expand when frozen, place it in a quality rubber storage container and into the freezer it goes.
For bigger packets, I have heard of people using icecube trays or even using the ceiling grates that hobbyist use to make plenums out of as molds for the frozen food! LOL Talk about versatility!!