Homer's New Tank Diary

clsimons29

Finally!! I have my new tank in. We have started setting it up and I am currently refinishing the stand by skinning it in 1/4" oak and staining it cherry red to match my other furniture. :joy:

mimzy

wow, that looks awesome!! Can't wait to see how it turns out! What are you planning to keep?

clsimons29

This will be over time of course but here is the future inhabitants:
Naso Tang
Blue Hippo
Fox Face
Powder Blue
Yellow
Percula
Madarin Dragonnet
Lawnmover Blenny
Flame Angel
Full clean up crew & will stock w/life coral

clsimons29

60X20X36" appox 187 gallons empty. I am having a light kit retro fit in the hood so I do not have any pics on it yet. It will have moonlight kit.

clsimons29

Here is the stand stained w/doors. I will trim it out in red oak but I can not get it in my town, gotta make a trip to Texas. I will post again when I have new stuff, hopefully more exicting than my stand.

clsimons29

Originally Posted by kindbuds2k
Thats sweet. I want to do that for my 100 gallon. Where did you get the decorations from?
The deco reef came with the tank.. it was built to cover the overflow box which is behind it. I bought this unit used from a LFS that got it from the estate of an elderly gentleman, he had it as a wall endcap unit and all the filteration was in a seperate room, we are having to retro fit everything under the cabinet for now. I plan to eventually turn this back into a wall unit when we build our next house.

kindbuds2k

Right on. Thats what it looked like, but I wasn't to sure. I can't wait to see it with some sand and water in it. Keep us posted.

laddy

So you did buy the tank, uh? I remember it from a past post. Your wife did a great job staining. Looking good, can't wait till it all comes together.

monalisa

Homer's new tank is really coming together...what a lucky little guy!!
Definitely keep posting pics as new things develop!! Great job.
Lisa :happyfish

clsimons29

I appreciate everyone's comments and advice on this tank before I purchased it.

I am waiting on the LFS to finish the plumbing set up and we will get it filled, start building the live rock and cycling the tank, will post new pics then.
My wife thanks you on the compliment on the staining job, I'm lucky that I get my own personal veterinarian, she charges me the family rate....double the regular rate
Anyways I appreciate the compliments and am glad to finally be posting my tank and you all have given me plenty of inspiration.

clsimons29

Pics of my freshwater Tiger cicliad tank. No new pics of the saltwater tank yet so I thought I would post these.

clsimons29

Well we finally got my new tank filled w/water today!!! All the plumbing is working but had a near miss as the installer forget to tighten one of the joints and got some water on the floor. Considering that everything is working great, pumps are very quiet and everything is flowing good. Only thing that is loud right now is the water flowing into the overflow box. We put some bioballs in it which helped some but he said he would get some type of material to put in the middle to break the flow.
We added about 90lbs of crushed coral and LS also. Tank is cloudy right now so I will add pic tommorow once it has settled. He is going to order about 120lbs of Fiji rock and start curing it for me while we are on vacation. So will have the LR in about 2 1/2 weeks.