Horn Shark

clowntrigga

A friend of mine just got a horn shark 2 days ago and it has not eaten yet,by the way it is a 350 gallon tank so it should have ample room to swim,but does anyone one know what horn sharks like to munch on,and is there anyother special care he should know about keeping horn sharks?Also wanted to know if they are escape artist because he has his light hanging from the ceiling with no cover on the tank is there a possibility he might jump out?Any info on this topic is greatly appreciated!!!!!! :D

eddi

I am not familiar with the horn shark specifically, but all sharks are kinda hard to get to start eating. I would not worry after only 2 days, but here is a few things he/she can try:
feed them live ghost shrimp
take a small piece of krill (or whatever), insert it in a small tube and wave in front of the shark and see if he goes after it. Make sure there is enough of the food sticking out so he can get to it
feed him at night so there is less competition for the food. On the same note, what other fish does he/she have in the tank? Horns are cooler water sharks, not more than low 70s.
350 is a great size, but if the shark grows to full maturity it will outgrow even that tank. A horn shark can get slightly over 4'.
I have a 360 gallon that I am setting up for sharks and rays, so I have done quite a bit of research. I plan on keeping either bamboo or marbled cat sharks. I would love to keep epulettes, but they are expensive!
Eddi

trgirl

He is not alone! My new banded cat shark hasn't shown any interest either. He's been in my tank for 2 days now. I've been wondering the same thing! Let me know what the secret trick to this is when you find it out!

clowntrigga

Well he finally ate some silver sides today, 4 days after being in the tank so thats gotta be a god sign!my friends got a cleaner shrimp in there that i thought would most certainly become lunch ,but i seen him yesterday on top of the shark cleaning his gills!It was pretty cool 2 watch! :D :D