Hot in Michigan

spanko

So the temps in Michigan the last couple of days have been in the upper 80's low 90's. Found out our air conditioner needed to be replaced. They did it this evening. Running now thank goodness.
However looked in the tank yesterday and temp was 82 ish. Go home from work today, the temp in the house is 92 and the tank is at 86. Immediately turn off the halide, get a fan and a bag of ice to bring it down.
However have lost the following;
Largeish purple birdsnest total RTN.
Green polyped birdsnest not looking so good.
One acan colony looking melted, the other not fluffed up at all.
Cannot find the tailspot blenny.
All that is left of the mystery wrasse is mostly bones.
Frogspawn melted, only a few small tentacles.
Everything else looks like it may recover.

meowzer

Man so sorry Henry...I know the feeling...it has been reaching 100 here the last couple of days...
Let me ask you this, why is the Mystery Wrasse bones???/ did it melt?

spanko

Mystery Wrasse died, my very efficient clean up crew did not and had fish for dinner. I am thinking that tailspot may have suffered the same fate. Occy's, foxface and jawfish still alive.
I just use double heavy plastic bags with regulare ice cubes in them.

spanko

Thanx Lois, stuff happens. Have to see what survives and move on. Was getting such good polyp extension on the birdsnest too. Poop!!!!!

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3071049
Thanx Lois, stuff happens. Have to see what survives and move on. Was getting such good polyp extension on the birdsnest too. Poop!!!!!
OH YEAH....How will this affect the Vodka dosing experiment???

spanko

Won't have any affect. Will still continue to dose. Will have to move some of the RTN'd SPS out of the tank and replace with something else. The Milli's still look okay so far. Grren slimer still okay. So just have to start over with some corals. I believe the dosing has probably helped some with maintaing the water chemistry. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate still at zero as tested.
Fish are swimming around now not breating so hard. Polyps starting to come back out on the gorgs.
Temp was 86 at five o'clock now at nine o'clock is at 82. So coming down slowly.
Everything looks so PO'd though. Makes me sad.

kspops

Sad to hear of misfortune, But as to the ro/di Ice cubes, I have found these small bags about the size of ice cubes at wallies place. They are like $1.00 for about 50 and work on the same princaple of the blue ice packs. I use them when I go fishing for my drinks and if I ever catch and cannot revive a fish for release, I put it on ice for dinner. These should work for a tank, just freeze and refreeze to bring down a tank temp.

spanko

So the question in my mind now is do I rescape, take the Occy's back to LFS for credit (They are starting to get big and hurt when they bite, take the Foxface back for store credit and start fresh with what coral is left and the Bali Tiger Jawfish.........................hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

greenreefer

sorry to hear about your tank, that sucks
I vote...take em back and start with the coral and jawfish, think you'll be happier in the long run

flower

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3071032
So the temps in Michigan the last couple of days have been in the upper 80's low 90's. Found out our air conditioner needed to be replaced. They did it this evening. Running now thank goodness.
However looked in the tank yesterday and temp was 82 ish. Go home from work today, the temp in the house is 92 and the tank is at 86. Immediately turn off the halide, get a fan and a bag of ice to bring it down.
However have lost the following;
Largeish purple birdsnest total RTN.
Green polyped birdsnest not looking so good.
One acan colony looking melted, the other not fluffed up at all.
Cannot find the tailspot blenny.
All that is left of the mystery wrasse is mostly bones.
Frogspawn melted, only a few small tentacles.
Everything else looks like it may recover.

WOW...I live in Illinios. Heat advisory here too. 97 yesterday. My tank is at my other place, I haven't moved it yet. My sister is living there and her husband is saying the electric is too high because of my tank...He WON'T
run the air conditioner. She will not defy him, she has a wall unit in her bedroom, she runs it to keep herself cool.
It was so hot that the temp strip read
NOTHING...because it won't go beyond 86
However everything looked fine. The MH lights were running and the corals were all open and the fish were acting normal. I am moving the tank tomorrow and Saturday...I hope everything makes it.

my tank goes through temp swings from winter to summer because its way to expensive to cool an apt in the texas heat when it reaches 103!!! it goes from 78-80 so for now the house is at 78 (with the fans on makes it feel like 72!) and i have a strong fan over the sump to do its work with cooling and the tank never reaches anything above 80.2. But i have a old milk jug filled with water that is frozen for the just in case it hits 81...