House Health Care Debacle-WARNING POLITICAL CONTENT

ironeagle2006

Actually the Great Northern CB&Q SP&S Frisco were all built WITHOUT any Land Grants. Northern Pacific had land grants however by the time of the Merger to create the Burlington Northern in 1970 they had sold all the land off. Santa Fe only had land grants when it reached Colorado not before they had to build everything in Kansas with no help at all. They also had to build from Kansas City to Chicago with NO HELP. Their primary line across the panhandle of TX was built with their own cash. Any and all grants they did get they sold to Farmers for less than what the Goverment wanted them to. The goverment wanted 2 bucks an acre the Santa fe sold it for 1 dollar and acre. You do the math.
They also built into cities and broke up the stranglehold the Southern Pacific had on LA San Fran and other cities in California on their own. By 1920 they had no land grant holdings left. BTW everyone thinks that the Western RR were all so called land grant roads. Less than 8% of all the rail laid out west had any grants attached to it. The RR's that got the most were Union Pacific Central/Southern Pacific combined recived 85% of all the grants issued Northern Pacific got 12% and Santa Fe only got 3%. Yet of the RR's listed the Santa Fe was the one that built the best track work and also never was charged with trying to gouge customers.

reefraff

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/post/3172422
Actually the Great Northern CB&Q SP&S Frisco were all built WITHOUT any Land Grants. Northern Pacific had land grants however by the time of the Merger to create the Burlington Northern in 1970 they had sold all the land off. Santa Fe only had land grants when it reached Colorado not before they had to build everything in Kansas with no help at all. They also had to build from Kansas City to Chicago with NO HELP. Their primary line across the panhandle of TX was built with their own cash. Any and all grants they did get they sold to Farmers for less than what the Goverment wanted them to. The goverment wanted 2 bucks an acre the Santa fe sold it for 1 dollar and acre. You do the math.
They also built into cities and broke up the stranglehold the Southern Pacific had on LA San Fran and other cities in California on their own. By 1920 they had no land grant holdings left. BTW everyone thinks that the Western RR were all so called land grant roads. Less than 8% of all the rail laid out west had any grants attached to it. The RR's that got the most were Union Pacific Central/Southern Pacific combined recived 85% of all the grants issued Northern Pacific got 12% and Santa Fe only got 3%. Yet of the RR's listed the Santa Fe was the one that built the best track work and also never was charged with trying to gouge customers.

Point is they ALL got government assistance at some point. They would have happened anyway but the grants did speed things up.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3175104
So the Ossiah claims they are going to pay for his health care scheme with cuts to Medicare yet
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091120/...erhaul_doctors
Wake Up America
Isn't Medicare under funded as it is? It is not paid for completely and adds to the deficit....
So let me understand this...We are going to cut medicare (which is not paid for) and use the money that doesn't exist from the cuts (since those cuts are not paid for in the first place) to pay for healthcare.
Then in a separate bill we will overturn the medicare cuts.....
So to put it in easier terms to understand...Isn't that like owning a house, but only paying 600 a month on a 1000 dollar a month

[hr]
.Then refinancing the house down to 600 a month

[hr]
, and going out and buying a cabin for 400 a month. because your house payment was reduced 400 a month......even though you don't have the 400 available in the first place.But after buying the cabin, the refinance company sees an error and puts your monthly payment back to 1000.
No wonder our economy is a mess.

reefraff

Today Social Security and medicare take in more money than they pay out. The surplus is placed in the general fund and spent. Over the next 5 to 7 years depending on who you listen too both systems will go into the red, paying out more than they take in. This should be the top priority right now, it's more important than any issue facing us right now except for national security.
When they go into the red the hit on our economy is going to be devastating and people don't seem to understand that. It would be like going from making 3000.00 a month with a 500.00 bonus to having your pay cut to 2500.00 a month. It's something you might be able to work through if you have been financially responsible but all our credit cards are maxed out, the car payment is past due and the roof needs to be replaced. We're hosed.

uneverno

I've said before and I'll say again:
Historically, the collapse of empires seldom takes place militarily. Empires generally collapse under their own debt burden.
We have learned nothing from the past.

reefraff

Originally Posted by uneverno
http:///forum/post/3175534
I've said before and I'll say again:
Historically, the collapse of empires seldom takes place militarily. Empires generally collapse under their own debt burden.
We have learned nothing from the past.
We need a soft revolution in this country. Not sure I see anyone on the current scene to lead it. People like Glen Beck and Sarah Palin have shown the right is ready and I think there is going to be someone emerge on the left as time goes on. I think it's only a matter of time before a centrist catches on and draws in the disenchanted from left and right of center.

mantisman51

Ron Paul. He is too libertarian for my taste, but he is 100% right on the economy. Too bad he is getting so far up in years.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3175594
Ron Paul. He is too libertarian for my taste, but he is 100% right on the economy. Too bad he is getting so far up in years.
He has to much baggage, and go up against Obama I can see it turning into a racially motivated election, since he does have past affiliation with KKK.
Plus his Global policies scare me to a degree....we opened a can of worms, and to go back to being Isolationists would cripple our economy.

reefraff

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/3175598
He has to much baggage, and go up against Obama I can see it turning into a racially motivated election, since he does have past affiliation with KKK.
Plus his Global policies scare me to a degree....we opened a can of worms, and to go back to being Isolationists would cripple our economy.
Paul isn't viable. I think someone from the Lieberman mold who breaks with the party to do what makes sense for the country. A conservative Democrat could emerge from this health care crap that would fill the bill.

reefraff

Just heard Reid is buying votes. He just added 100,000,000 to the health care bill to pay for medicaid in the state of Louisiana which just happens to be the home state of one of the fence sitters, Mary Leandreau. What a joke. Love or hate the health care bill people should be outraged by that kind of dealing. Hundred million dollars.