How and why? (pistols & gobies)

sueandherzoo

I'm just amazed and awestruck at the relationship between pistol shrimp and gobies. I bought a tiger pistol shrimp a few months ago with a yellow watchman. Unfortunately the watchman died so I bought a replacement. The two paired up, and unfortunately this watchman met an unfortunate early death, too. I decided to give up on watchman gobies and the shrimp lived alone for about a month. A couple of weeks ago I bought an impulse goby, a blue-faced BIG guy, just because I couldn't resist. I put him in a different tank than the pistol shrimp since the shrimp's tank wasn't a suitable environment for the goby. But last night I decided to catch the shrimp and move HIM in with the goby, even though I really had my doubts that they'd ever be a pair. Not only is the tank a 46 bowfront (huge compared to the little shrimp) but since the goby is SO MUCH BIGGER than the shrimp I didn't figure it would ever work out.
I went home for lunch today and they are a pair. I am just dumbfounded. the science behind it amazes me -- who initiates the friendship? How does the blind pistol shrimp know it's a goby, and why does the goby take the shrimp under his wing? Just amazing.........
Sue

valgae

As the goby uses the shrimp's burrow for protection from predators, it also acts as "eyes" for the pistol shrimp. During the day, the goby hovers above the burrow, feeding and interacting with other gobies. Meanwhile, the shrimp uses its antennae to stay in constant contact with the goby's tail while searching for food (detritus, tiny crustaceans, and worms) and maintaining the burrow opening. If a predatory fish approaches, the goby flicks its tail several times, alerting the shrimp to retreat into the burrow. If the predator comes within striking distance, the goby will dart headfirst into the burrow. During the night, the two simply rest together in the burrow.

premilove

exactly. i actually snuck up on my goby and watch the whole process. the way the shrimp makes the burrows, it looks like a bulldozer. try this....find the borrow and bring your head closer and closer to the tank, slowly and see if you can spot the goby flickering his tail. its an awesome sight!

sueandherzoo

I watch the two of them all the time - half the time I shake my head in amazement and the other half I am giggling at what an adorable hard-worker the shrimp is. I described it to my husband as a "bulldozer". he really pushes a LOT of stuff out of the "home" and then puts it in reverse and goes back to get another load. I'm not sure what he's doing, though, when he gets those little legs of his moving at 100 mph. Digging down, I guess?
It just still fascinates how the two "find" each other and instantly know that they would both be better off working together. If only humans could take a lesson (sigh).
Sue