how big do maxima clams get?

jackri

The maxima clam (Tridacna maxima), also known as the small giant clam, is a species of clam found throughout the Indo-Pacific. They are much sought after in the aquarium trade, as their often striking coloration mimics that of the true giant clam, however the maximas maintain a manageable size, with the shells of large specimen typically not exceeding eight inches in length.
Guess you didn't look at the first google search or wikipedia result

nycbob

most maxima clams sold on the market r 1-2 inches big. it will take at least 3-5 years b4 getting to 8-10 inches.

alh

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3042456
The maxima clam (Tridacna maxima), also known as the small giant clam, is a species of clam found throughout the Indo-Pacific. They are much sought after in the aquarium trade, as their often striking coloration mimics that of the true giant clam, however the maximas maintain a manageable size, with the shells of large specimen typically not exceeding eight inches in length.
Guess you didn't look at the first google search or wikipedia result

Thanks, but I don't really need the sarcasm. I did searches and couldn't find the answer. Thanks

alh

I've always liked the maxima clam. I have an established 180g tank with a Nova Extreme Pro and a newly set up 34g tank with a 150w Sunpod. I'm not sure the lighting would be enough in the 180 and I'm afraid the 34 would be a little small. Maybe I could start it out in the 34g (after it matures) then move it to the 180g if it gets too big.

nycbob

the nova pro is enough as long as u place the clams near the middle to top. i hv 3 croceas under my nova pro.

jackri

To all those offended I "sincerely" apologize

Yeah, I can look and look and look... and my wife will make a fool of me the same way in her first search and get it... but really all I typed in google was "maxima clam size"
I guess it's just knowing what to type for search words is the tricky part. Just seems some (not all or anyone in this thread) are too lazy to google anything and bump their thread 8 times for an answer that a quick search through any of the forums or google would suffice in doing.
K, I've had my fun.. don't torch me now

alh

My search terms tend to be too specific, perhaps. I typed in "how big do maxima clams get". I actually looked at wikipedia prior to posting here, but didn't read it closely enough to notice it mentioned the size. Guess my eye became lazy because I was searching for awhile.
Anyway, I also sometimes wonder if people bothered to do a simple search before asking questions. But if I can't respond to someones question in a constructive/pleasant way, then I don't post an answer.

wattsupdoc

If your sincere, why roll your eyes?
Evidently your lazy enough to be irritated at their request for information. Next time instead of puffing yourself up, just dont answer it. But then if this is the case you wont answer any threads anymore, maybe thats the way it shiould be. None of us here on this message board should ask any questions, or answer any until we ourselves find the answer cant be found any where else. OH wait, why even have the message board at all?

meowzer

I'm not getting involved in this little dispute
BUT I do research stuff on sites, google etc...BUT I also find that I get a lot more info from asking on this site....googling does NOT give you the personal experiences that hobbyists...well experience...
SOOOOO...all the info I just read on this Maxima was very helpful to me, as I am researching a clam for my tank, and have NO clue (surprised) which one I want..

jackri

I said don't torch me now.... but wow such sensitive people.
Nothing wrong with asking questions and talking to new people about corals/care/etc in person they hate asking questions because they think it's a dumb one.. but how else are you supposed to learn.
I asked a lot of dumb questions and they got answered....
BUT... "I couldn't find the information anywhere" deserved my response and I'm sticking to it

nycbob

can we all just forget about it, and move on? there isnt anything wrong with asking questions here. any question is a good question.

jackri

I agree, which I did answer... How do you know unless you ask.
But... Heaven forbid someone take a little light ribbing out of context into something mean.

alh

I didn't think you were being mean, it was just unneccesary. And when I stated in the original post that I couldn't find the info anywhere, I thought it was understood that I meant that I could't find it anywhere that I LOOKED. Obviously, the information exists in the internet universe.
It's all good