How big of a Hole Saw bit do i need for a 4" fan.

D

daniel411

Ouch, that can be an expensive bit! Alot of fans are different it will vary with the mounting hardware.
-On a plus side... it won't be as intimidating as drilling plastic bodywork!-

krishj39

All you need is a standard sized drill bit, say, 1/4 of an inch, just big enough for your jigsaw blade to fit in the hole. First, trace the shape you will need to cut on your wood. Then drill 4 holes in at the four corners where you need the hole to be. Then use the jigsaw to cut from one hole to the other. If you need to make a circular hole for the fan, then you only have to make one hole with the drill at the edge of the circle and then just go around in a circle following your traced line with the jig.

gixxer1000

Yea but dont they just sell a bit at home depot in the shape of a circle with rigid teeth. And you just drill like nomal but its a circle? Thats what i though would be very easy

krishj39

Yes they do sell them and they are useful. I'd be a little nervous about using one to cut a hole that big my canopy. The bigger of a hole you try to cut with them, the more likely you are to have problems. If you don't have a jigsaw you can borrow, then perhaps buying the bit is the cheapest.

D

daniel411

gixxer1000

damn that sucks i though they were about like 5-10 bucks and you just stick in it the drill and tighten it up. Guess not. Guess ill have to think of something else just when you think its all easy

tony detroit

For the cost of a bit, you can buy a Skil jigsaw at home depot for 30 bucks that comes with 2 blades. If you mount the flange of the fan on the outside of the canopy you will not even see the lines from the hole either, if you have a fan type like I think you do.

hypertek99

I just bought a 16 piece Hole saw kit on ---- for $10. It had all different sizes. Home Depot is expensive they had one saw for like $15. So i looked on ---- and there was a lot.

D

daniel411

I went to sears home store and lowes last night.
Both of them had 4" hole saws for about $13.