How Big Should I start with?

fish_crazy

So, I haven't started A tank yet but I am debating which size to get. I hear its kinda pointless to buy a small one and then go big 8 months later. so what is your input on this?

alyssia

As big as you can possibly afford! You'll want to go bigger anyway and the bigger the tank is the easier it is to keep the water parameters stable.

fish_crazy

Originally Posted by alyssia
As big as you can possibly afford! You'll want to go bigger anyway and the bigger the tank is the easier it is to keep the water parameters stable.
Ok...Thanks,
anyone else? ***)

piscesblue

I'd say no smaller than a 75gal. Look on Craigslist in your area to find a used setup for cheap. I started with a 30gal L and it was a constant battle to keep the water stable when I was inexperienced.

renogaw

i had a 20gal that i turned into SW from fresh just to get the hang of it. i've gone through a lot of headaches with it, mainly phosphates. i've had it up and running for almost 4 months now, so i think it was beneficial as a starter tank. my 75 is running me about 2k now without even adding fish/cleaner crew if that helps you decide if you can afford it.

piscesblue

My 75gal is up and running for $750 with 120# LR, 260w PC's, Skimmer, heater and powerheads. I bought the tank itself used for $150 off Craigslist and the LR from a member of this board for $100, everything else is new. I had $1400 in my 30gal with everything new and full of softies.
Buy used, buy big!

fedukeford

think of a tank size that sounds resonable to you and that you like the size, then double it and thats a good size to start with.... a tank in the 100 gallon range is good so you will have time to stock it with fish and coral before you want to upgrade

aceheart

pisces, i wish i could find someone to buy LR from cheap lol, im starting out and looking for around 25lbs of it and seems im going ot have to attempt to make my own :(cant afford the LR ive seen anywhere and cant find any good deals on it anywhere

chutneyjh

Originally Posted by PiscesBlue
My 75gal is up and running for $750 with 120# LR, 260w PC's, Skimmer, heater and powerheads. I bought the tank itself used for $150 off Craigslist and the LR from a member of this board for $100, everything else is new. I had $1400 in my 30gal with everything new and full of softies.
Buy used, buy big!

I agree but make sure you research the tank if you're going to have inverts. A lot of FW people use copper in their DTs. I bought my tank used and saved a ton of money, which allowed me to buy a good skimmer and other equipment.

zanoshanox

As big as you possibly can. Less eroore+more time to respond to changes in waterchemistry=less dead livestock.

1911_guy

Here's a safe guide to go by for buying new. You can expect to pay about $30-$40 per gallon stocked including equipment.
75g = $2250-$3000
150g = $4500-$6000
I plan on upgrading to a 395g and added up everything I can think of brand new equipment and livestock and came up with $15000...using my guide that I just came up with says I should save up around $11850-$15800. Hope this helps

piscesblue

aceheart, Check the classifieds on this board or that other big board, then look in your newspaper or on Craigslist. There is always someone breaking down their tank and willing to part out the livestock for pennies on the dollar. I know I sold my 30gal with all livestock for less than 1/3rd of original costs after I was laid-off a few years ago. After that experience, I learned to find affordable ways to re-enter this hobby. I really lucked out on my LR and actually got it before I was ready (I only had water in the tank for 2days prior) and I ended up going back for more since the quality was so high. The rock had 6yrs of coraline and critters!