How can I make this work?

xeniaman

I have a 240 gallon reef and just ordered a msx 250 protein skimmer. My sump is under the tank and space is limited because of 2x4s in the center for bracing. I am currently using a rubbermaid sump/refugium that is 32x21x13tall. How can I incorperate this skimmer and also keep a constant water level to keep the skimmer performing well? Is it possible to use a seperate tank/container to house the skimmer and connect the two together by having the overflows dump into the skimmer (chamber) and have the bulkhead connecting the two at 9 to 10 inches push water to the sump/fuge returning the water to the display tank? The tub I am using for my sump/fuge is safe for saltwater and will not leach anything into the water or fail over time.

taznut

sounds good... only one suggestion, i would have most of the water coming from the tank go to the skimmer but some should bypass the skimmer and go only to the fuge then back to the tank... from what i have read the skimmer takes out the stuff the macro algea needs to live...

xeniaman

that looks great, I am also thinking of putting a smaller rubbermaid toughbox like the one you posted inside the bigger sump. What is the reasoning behind the 45 degree elbows on the plumbing and also what size is that container? Is that an msx 200 or 250, mine should be arriving wednesday