How can i remove soft coral from rock?

billy2k1

I have a huge bubble algae problem. I tried emerald crabs ,also removing them little by little and nothing works. They just took over all my live rocks and the tank looks terrible. Here is my kind of crazy solution. I need to know how to remove my leather coral from the rock that it is attached to in a safe way. I want to set it with some other corals together with my fish in a temporary tank already established. Reason for that ?.I want to take all my rocks,sump, overflow box and the tank and I want to clean them completely and let it set dry for a couple of days before I set everything up again.Also need to know if I should set up a uv light in case something (spores) get in the temporary tank mix-up with the corals and fish from old existing tank.It is not a big one,it is just a 30g with a 20g sump that has been running for 3 years. How the bubbles get there in first place?.Easy,I bought a piece of coral attached to a small rock that had some little tiny bubbles and I decided to ignore them. Big mistake. I didn’t know what it was a that particular time. Any ways, please just give me your honest opinion.Any help will be really appreciated.

S

shark bait

I am going out on a limb and say the reason is first off the water you used to set up the tank. Tap water has been known to cause this issue. Also over feeding and excess waste cause this issue. Using good rodi water, good salt and keeping the tank lit less and out of direct sun light will help with this. A UV is only good prior to the issue and it helps killthe free floating spores in the water but is no good after the alge has found a home. You must cut down on the nutrients in the water and the alge should go away over a long period of time.
or just remove all the rick and get live rock prep and scrub it down and put it back in when done.

nycbob

normally emerald crabs will do a good job of eating the bubble algae. i used to hv the problem when i 1st set up my tank. after adding 3 emeralds, it was gone in a few weeks. u can cut the base of the leather to detach it.

billy2k1

I didn't mention it before but i always use ro-di water and my tank is not located on direct sun.Once bubble algae find the way in your tank (live rock in my case) it doesn't matter how good your water is ,it will stay there unless you remove it very carefully in it's early stage.In my particular case it is way too late.Also ,i didn't mention uv as a solution,i just want to use it as a precaution for the temporary tank,i know it will not solve the problem once established.Any ways,back to the reason of this thread,how can i remove a leather coral from the rock that it is attached to please?

billy2k1

Hey shark bait, don't you think that if i just scrub them out and put them back in the tank the problem will re appear?,i tried that already and the problem came right back.That's why this time i want to clean them and let them exposed under sun light to make sure i killed everything before put them back in tank.
What do you think?

nycbob

if u do that, ur rock will become deadrock. but it will for sure kill the bubble algae. if u dont mind the rock becoming dead, boil it in hot water.

billy2k1

I don't mind at all.I can always put some more new live rock.
You have no idea how upset i am about this bubble situation.
I think i am going to dump everything in bleach for a few days, then put some chlorine neutralizer and then expose everything to the Sun for another couple of days.This should in theory take care of EVERYTHING

S

shark bait

yea that should work i would try kent rock prep to try and save the rock it is a huge benifit to the bio filter. try the rock prep, live rock is worth it's weight in gold in the tank.

i had the same prob my tank was getting bad (becouse of light was too close) i just took out all the rock and scrubed it in saltwater. it worked hecka good.. worth the risk i think!