how deadly is a nudibranch?

ajroc31

I really like nudibranches, but I am scared that if it dies it will crash my tank. I have 120 gal. reef, and I really do not like putting any venomous things in the tank, afraid that it may cause some deaths.

aarone

errr....i dont think nudibranchs are dangerous at all. i know some can eat corals but i think you are reffering to a sea apple or sea cucumber. those can crash a tank.
aaron

ajroc31

swf.com say that they are reef-safe,but I think that I once saw that they may eat corals. Are they not venomous?

aarone

not at all....well im positive that the ones readily availiable to aquarists are not but im sure there is one out there in the ocean that is quite poisonous.
aaron

ajroc31

Thanks for your input. I looked for some stuff on the net, but found only inconclusive info. I seen a site that said that some nudibranches are HIGHLY TOXIC, while others said nothing about it.

T

thomas712

Depends on species and all but they can produce a toxin within themselves which is why a fish won't just gobble them up like a free snack - they taste bad.
Having one in the tank might not cause much of a problem, but as with anything that dies it can fowl your tank water for a while.
Why do you want one, specific purpose? or just to have one?
WHIch one did you want?
THOmas

ajroc31

I just think that they are pretty cool. I can't add anymore figh to the tank, and I have an ichy finger to buy something new. I really want feather dusters, but they would be a meal for my naso.

there is a certain family of nudibranch that will crash your tank dead or not, do some research on them you'll find out which are good and which aren't

Sadly, I HAD a lettuce nudi from SWF.com. It was a great addition to my tank, however, nowhere did I ever see that they can get sucked up into powerheads very easily. If you get one, I definately recommend the foam insert for the powerhead intake, or you just may lose yours like I lost mine.
On the plus side, I can report that its death, regrettable as it was, definately did not crash my tank.