How deep to go?

buckey

I was wondering on how you decide on how deep to make your substrate? I hear or dsb and sb What is the adavantage of each and disadvantage.
I am going to switch from cc to aragonite but I am not sure which size grain to buy and how much of it. It is fowlr now but hope to make it into reef some day. Also it 55g. Any input would sure help me thank you.

nm reef

I used a combination of 3 types of basic sand to build my DSB. Natures ocean LS ...carib sea oolite(aragonite) and carib sea reef floor grade. I used approximately 40 lbs of natures ocean 100 lbs of aragonite & 80 lbs of sea floor grade(plus approximately 25 lbs of active ls from my favorite LFS)......gave me a DSB of 5"-6" in depth. Most reference to desired depths I've seen suggest 4"-6" for a DSB.....here is a formula to calculate what you'll need
width(in inches) x length(in inches) x desired depth of DSB x .0579 = lbs needed
Personally I would use Natures Ocean LS and any of a number of Carib sea products....but there are numerous options that will work(southdown).
Hope this helps answer your questions a little....*_^

karlas

i went with a mix of carib sea oolitic, carib ls, and another reef sand the the store sold all together i have about 85 lbs and 3-4" sb