How did I do? Stand is done...

shep

Here it is...going to clearcoat it sometime this week. May add some carvings to the doors later but done for now and on to the canopy#2 project. Smashed the first one up and made fire out of it to roast some marshmellows. F*&(ing tape measure was off 3/8" and it would not fit. Threw all the tape measures away and bought a stanley one. was only 30 bucks of wood but I was still stoked.

attml

Wow! You did a really nice job! Excellent work on the spiral looking trim work! Nicely done!:)

hairtrigger

Uh, yeah. That stand is great. Nice finish, nice detail. Man, you've got a talent at carpentry. Good stuff Shep. Good stuff. :cool:

sammystingray

That is absolutely beautiful......incredible work. What you lack in level picture taking, you well make up for in woodworking...better than any I have seen offered at any LFSs around here.....how about some inside pics?

T

thomas712

Shep very nice :) Perhaps you could detail your plans and post them in the DIY section for others.
Thomas

rickster

Geez, looks like chery wood from the pics. Sure wish I knew what was in the tank, and more importantly can I get to the back if I have to.....great woodwork.
Rickster.

corky

very nicely done! Is it cherry? Did you use plywood for the sides? Nice molding. Local pickup or did you order? What kind of bottom did you go with? I will be building a stand for a 180 in the next few months and was going to use cherry.

shep

Carpenter I AM NOT.
My stand builder got put in jail so I had all the wood and not expert. After a week I said screw it. Went and got a table saw and went at it. The stand is constructed of nothing but 3/4" Birch plywood. It's 74" wide, 22" deep and 28.5" high. It has a double front wall on the top and a center divider of 2 3/4" pieces of plywood. also there is a 2X4 brace going across the back. That's it and it wasn't hard. Table saw is a must. One can not cut this good with a skill saw. Other than that I glued and screwed every connection. The front was cut to allow the CPR sump to easily enter and exit. It's 23.25X33.25, doors are 23 7/8" X 17". The trim and molding is pine from lowes. All of it is stained in light oak from lowes. Handles and such also from lowes.
Cost...
Plywood, Birch. 39.00/sheet (2) including canopy.
7/8" square moulding, 6 bucks
Rope wrap moulding, 13 bucks
Wal Mart miter box, 14 bucks
Doors, cabinet shop 66 bucks Tried and failed so I just bought.
Hinges, latches, and handles 20 bucks
Stain 7 bucks
Clear Coat 7 bucks.
Total = under 250 including some of the beer.
125 stand to look half as good...seen price...650 minus shipping.
Testing
After stand was done we sat some wood on top to prevent gouging and took a trac-hoe and sat a 71 vw bug on the stand to see if it would hold the tank. Wish I would have taken a picture but was way drunk when we got there.
Oh yea seeing the VW on the stand and not crushed...PRICELESS.:D

shep

also im sorry thanks for all the comments. Sammy...I will get the inside pic posted asap. glass hasn't been cleaned and is fog of that nice har green right before coraline stuff. So when I wake up tomorrow I will send the skimmer into a frantic rage and scrape it to take pictures. It needs to be done and glass was neglected hard this weekend on trying to get the stand done. Even the fish are looking at me funny. Of course I guess that would not happen if I kept my head out of the water...J/K.

lesa

Great Job, you can come to my house and build me one:D And you can have all the beer you want:D