How did you add your live sand?

fishead

got mine from SWF. 40# arogonite for $60. really satisfied. put it in with a 1 cup measering cup all at once. Cleared up the next morning.

chadillac

floated mine. It was cloudy for a while, it will clear up just give it time. Patience is one virtue that you will definetly learn in this hobby

mr . salty

I have added many bags of live sand to mine,and others tanks,This is the easiest way...Wipe the outside of the bag to remove any dust and dirt,,,Carefully open the top of the bag with a sissors or razor blade,,,Then put the whole bag into the water(tank),,turn it upside down and shake it.Once the sand starts comming out you can move the bag around to dump it where you want it.This methode wirks remarkably well,and you will be left with an empty bag when done.Not one grain of sand will be left in the bag...Plus clouding will be at a minimum...But this method will only work with WET packed LiVE SAND.Dry sand is another story...

drummerboy

Just curious, have any of you ever added sand to a established tank? I really would like to switch my substrate from crushed coral (don't know why I ever got the stuff now), to a sand bed, but can't really think of any other way to do it other than to set up another tank for all my inhabitants while I put the sand in and wait for the dust to clear.

cyn

I use a piece of 2 or 3inch PVC pipe that has been washed very well. Pour the sand down the pipe and slowly direct it where you want it. Very little dust with this method, more with dry but alot less than if you just pour it in.
HTH,
cyn.. BTW, my piece of pipe is 3in by 18 inches long.

predator

When I first put sand in my tank I put the sand in and covered it with trash bags, wieghed it down with rock and poiured my water in. Let it settle and slowly remoced the bag. But as I began adding I did like Salty suggested.