how do chillers work?

j-j_02

i think i might need one now that is getting hot out here in cali. my tank is almost at 85 degrees
. i need help a.s.a.p. i need to know everythig about them and if i needone. jus tell me wat u know that you everyone.

keith burn

The fan will work if the temp goes up too high put ice in ziploc bag in tank/sump and get 2 liter bottle with water in it and freze it and put it in.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by keith burn
get 2 liter bottle with water in it and freze it and put it in.
THAT is a GREAT idea!!! I dont currently need to do that,but I am preparing for hurricane season. That would work fine for a few days to keep the temp down...incase I lose power for an extended period of time.

j-j_02

i have a 55g with one penguin 350 filter an one powerhead. how would i rig up the computer fan? and thank u so much guys.

azaintcold

This is how my set up is.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/263438/azaintcolds-tank-diary/80#post_2107093
I have a 150 gallon w/ a sump and fuge (about 200 gallons total) but I live in Phoenix and use 750w of metal halide lighting, and don't need a chiller. I have 2 fans blowing in, two blowing out, and it works wonders. Much cleaner looking than a clunky chiller, and also alot cheaper $$.
Good luck. Its also very good to point a power head at the surface and get some serious surface agitation to encourage gas exchange etc.

helpme74

I have a 75 gallon tank and i used the fan for about 5 months . My temps went up and down and then i got a chiller no more problems with the temp it was worth the money.

althemean

I just rigged up four 28cfm 12vdc computer fans in parallel to a 1200ma 12vdc converter.
They dropped my tank temp from 85 to 76 in four hours. Rather fast. I didnt think it would work so fast.
The tank is a 50gal seaclear with 150wMH.