How do I clean up red and green algae?

karl2jack

We have a 48 gal FO tank with CC about 1 year old. We do a 20% water change once a month and our fish look great. Our levels of ammonia, nit and nitrie are 0 and salinity is 1.023. However, every week I am in the tank scrubbing off the green algae from the inside of the glass. Should I expect that this is one of those chores that can't be avoided or is there some sort of additive that would slow down this growth? I can't imagine that someone with a 120+ tank would be doing this every week.
Thanks for the help.

chadillac

What you need is a few good big Mexican turbo snails they love eating the algae. The algae growth is normal.

petekc

I am a novice but I would say expect it. I clean my glass once a week or so. I also have 4 Turbo Snails and le tme tell you they can eat some algae. However they won't "clean" the glass they will remove alot of the algae but you will still need to scrape it once a week. Get a magnet scraper..best thing I have done for myself.

von_rahvin

if you are only cleaning your glass once a week you are doing great, get a mganet cleaner and your life will be much easier. most likely the best 15 dollars i have spent on my tank