How do I get a turbo snail off the glass without hurting it?

meemo

I have 2 turbos in my qt that I want to move to my display. But they are both holding on with a death grip. I'm afraid it will hurt them if I pull them off.
Actually one was holding onto the bottom of the bucket when I acclimated them and the other one was on top of it. I had a hard time getting the bottom one to let go and am afraid he may be hurt. Does it hurt their shell when you pull it? The one on the bottom is still in them same place I put it. The other one has crawled around. I'm worried the one is hurt and don't want to hurt the other one.

jeepboy

I have always just pulled slowly till they let go. I wouldn't think the snail would hold on so tight as to hurt itself, but I could be wrong.:notsure:

legion

just pull it along the glass and slightly outward it will let go and you most likely won't hurt a thing:)

L

lil gobie

I just tap it on its shell snd it will slid down the glass and grab on to something else like my coral.:hilarious

turbonikki

I would just gentle try to pry him off..if that doesnt work try to wait until he goes into his shell and try to get him off...that way you don't hurt the little guy. :D

meemo

Well, I don't think one of the snails is doing too hot. It's foot is looking dark and wrinkled. Although it is still crawling around very slowly on the glass. I used the slide method and it let go, but it may have been getting him out of the bucket earlier that hurt him. I think I pulled him straight up that time. Maybe its a combo of the two moves plus water differences. I don't know but the other snails are fine. I just haven't lost any critters yet and don't even want to lose a turbo snail.:sleepy:

dburr

Push the snail's shell from the head side to the back. Gently but forcefull.
This will work on the glass or the rocks. (rocks is where it's the hardest to get them off) Twisting and pulling and prying may end up killing it. If you push it's head the foot stay's with the shell and won't rip and the snail lets go.

belothsurf

Reeeelaaxxx.......:D I appreciate your concern, but you might be over analyzing a wee bit. If you lose a snail, I doubt it will be from your "retraction technique". Really, you are worrying too much, and going a bit overboard. Whenever I do water changes I have to move a few of mine from off of powerheads, top of the glass, etc. I just push the shell slightly 5 times in a northern direction, 5 times in a southern direction, wait 3-5 seconds, tap the top of the shell 3 times, turn the shell clockwise twice, and counter clockwise once, then one tug to the north, one to the south, and then one more tap on top of the shell, and it comes right off. Of course, if I mess the sequence up, I start over. So anyway, relax and don't make things "too" complicated....... :jumping:

wwfstyle

I use a razor blade when cleaning my glass and if a snail is in the way i slowly scrape him off with that. I have never hurt mine but you do have to watch where they fall. Alot of times I haft to watch where they fall and make sure that they are in the upright postion.

meemo

Hey, I'm not freaking out THAT much! This just turned out to be a popular subject with a lot of input. The snail is ok right now by the way.

stang393

Originally posted by Meemo

Hey, I'm not freaking out THAT much! This just turned out to be a popular subject with a lot of input. The snail is ok right now by the way.

This is funny I ran into this last night with my fisrt set of turbo snails..
Dripped them in a 5 gallon bucket, went to pull them out and DOOH! Death Grip.
I sort of got my nail under the rear of then and broke the suction like you would do on a suction cup...
Also touching them, made them jump back into their shell.

badkharma

I just pull them off. They're fine. I've lost 5 turbos - but not because they got pulled off - because my hermits ganged up on them and killed them. Amusing, actually.